The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
68PanelTruck

Hi guys, new guy with an old Panel Truck

Hello All. After a 30 year break I finally got back into a truck restoration. I picked up a rusty old 68 Panel Truck over the 4th of July weekend from a local guy that had an ad on Offer Up. When I saw the ad I contacted him and went to look at it the next day. I have been itching to get back to the hobby that I gave up when life got in the way 30 years ago and had been looking for a 1960 to 70 pick-up. Then I was this Panel Truck

When I first looked at it my hope sank. This truck needs a LOT of work. The rear quarter bottoms were rusted through and so was the cab floor. Leaky gas tank. Under the hood was a wiring rats nest, lol. I was ready to walk away. BUT, the 396 ran great and the guy was willing to deal. What to do??
I offered him way less than his asking price and he said OK. What did I just get myself into.

So for the past month or so I have been fixing a bunch of small stuff and gathering parts. I found a used front wiring harness to replace the melted down one. I ordered a radiator support, front fenders and new wheel wells. I also gave it what I think is it's first tune-up in 20 years, lol.

So that's where I'm at right now. Here are some specs of the truck:
68 C-10 Panel Truck
396 4 barrel
4 speed on the floor
Maxi-track rear end, not sure of the ratio.

My plan right now is to fix all of the rust first and then down the road I may lower it 4-5 inches.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote