The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: Have you ever done something really dumb?

Ok, here is one specific and recent dumb thing I did. Actually, more like a connected series. I'm not one to throw away and replace so quickly, especially when it comes to a well made in USA thing compared to the inferior foreign junk available these days for a replacement. So this is about my Maytag washing machine.
I know nothing about appliance repair. Years ago (like 20 or more) the machine started overfilling if you set it on medium load. No problem, just do large loads. Makes more sense and pretty much how I do it anyway. Well, one day in early summer I had some wash to soak in bleach and really didn't need the washer filled with hot water. For some fool reason I hit the medium button. Yep, overflowed. From that point on it would overflow in all settings... DUMB ME!
I asked around and learned what part needed replaced. Did some searching and no longer available. I've also been short on funds this year. I spent most of the summer filling the machine (while watching), turn off to hand wash (even had a washboard for the tough stuff/utility next to washer), set on spin so it would drain, spin, and fill with rinse water (while watching), swash it around, then set on spin to drain and final spin. Pretty convenient way to wash if it was 1850 .
So finally I search for the part used and find one on Ebay, only $25!! I get the part, put it in, and everything is great. I do all the laundry I can come up with. Then I realized when I'd pull the dial out the bottom of the control panel would pull out. I didn't get the tabs behind the flange before putting screws in on top. No problem, right?
I got dumb again. The whole time I messed with this machine I would unplug it. Every stinking time. Did I unplug it for this? NO! Sure enough... BZZT! I short something out on the body. I reset the breaker but now I get nothing from the machine... nada... dead. There are connectors to the selector at the bottom that would have been the likely point of the short. I see no burntness (I know, not a word) but figured I must have fried the control. So I find one on Ebay... $80. And I have to wait to finish a job to order it. So back to halfass handwashing.
I finally order the part, get the panel off, and start to do a sketch for all the connections before disconnecting. "Hey, why is this wire just hanging loose? That one, the one down low on the panel". And, "Well looky there. There is a female connector connected but no wire attached?". Well, I'm no appliance technician but I'd wager that loose wire is supposed to be attached to that connector. And that wire is one that comes off the power cord from the wall. Dumb again!. I now have a spare used $80 control in case I ever need it, about 1/2" less wire from the power cord, and one less female push-on connector in my electrical parts drawer. The ole Maytag is back to it's reliable self after spending $105 on a $25 repair. If I had fixed the problem 20 years ago when the level valve started acting up I could have gotten the part at the local appliance parts shop and had it fixed the same week. Oh well, that one might have gone up by now, I still didn't have to buy a new POS, and I spent less than a repairman would have cost. Oh... And I also got to experience life without modern and convenient clothes washing equipment for free!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote