The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

1972 K5 Blazer CST day 2 restoration.

Hey guys! Long time no see! Some of you may remember me, been a member since 2002. I've owned my blazer since I was 16. We're going on 20 years together! Lots of great memories in this old rig.

Anyways a bit about my truck! It's a 72 k5 With CST package. I bought it in 2000 down the street from my house for 500 bucks. It needed a brake job, and lots of other maintenance. But is an overall fairly unmolested truck. It was my daily driver for years. I've had several engines in it over the last 2 decades, and rebuilt most of the mechanicals, I even started on a 4bt swap years ago, but couldn't bring myself to complete it as it kinda changes what I initially wanted to build. Over the years I've had a lot of different ideas of how to build this thing, and I'm now at the point where I think I have a solid plan.

I've always loved original trucks the most, but with a twist. I call that the day 2 restoration. Mainly my idea is, it's 1972, you buy a new Blazer 4x4, and proceed to start outfitting it with parts to make it a capable back country explorer. Some of the parts you would have ordered from the factory, some would have been aftermarket, but together they will give it that tough vintage skinny tire 4x4 look.

The trucks original color was medium olive metallic with dark olive interior. Original double wall top. No ac. Not really a ton of options. I'll have to grab a picture of the spid. Anyways...

I'd like to paint it red with a black interior. I don't know why. But I have always loved that combo on a blazer.

So far this is the list of parts I have acquired or were on the truck when I got it.

I've got all the cst stuff and At some point my truck was fitted with:

•A smitty built rollbar
•Unknown aftermarket chrome push bar (probably installed at the same time it got the tube grill and repaint)
•Swing away tire carrier(it originally had that but was missing)

On top of that I have acquired

• Original transfer plate and gas tank skid plates
• A replacement cup holder console
• 2 original spare tire carriers, (I have had these so long that I will tell you I paid 50 dollars for 1 and 75 for the other.)
• perfect set of 4x4 hubcaps taken off a truck in 73.
• vintage Warn 8274 winch

The truck had the 4 inch lift on it when I got it, I've done a lot over the years. New gas tank, 4 core big block radiator conversion, headers, edelbrock intake and carb. Rebuilt transmission. When something broke i fixed it...or replaced it with better.

My plans call for rust repair, paint, new stock interior. I'm thinking of 1 deviation here. And that is bed liner on the floors vs carpet. I'd like to get some steel wheels and a few other parts

I think I need some
• tow hooks
• sliding rear windows.
• Vintage Warn winch bumper

Can you guys think of any "factory" or "early aftermarket" parts I need to add to my searches? I know about the Hickey Stuff, but not sure there is anything I need there.

What about the tow hooks? Are there rear hooks? Or just fronts?

I'd also like to say, I feel like the quality of restorations over the last 20 years have really improved. I love exact details and it seems like a lot of information has come to light that I will need to assimilate. I don't know how far down the rabbit hole i will go, but I want it to appear very factory, except in the areas it has been modified like the engine. I even found vintage Mickey Thompson valve covers for that authentic 70's hopped up look. At this point I am still kinda preping for all this and getting my ducks in a row so to speak. I just needed a place to store my thoughts in a more concrete manner. I am sure I will have lots of questions.
Attached Images