The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
StoningtonQB

The Living Nightmare of Speedo Gears

Last year my hands were tied between a new baby and moving out of town and I ended up buying a TH350 from Summit. I made the mistake of going to a friend's shop to put it in (instead of doing it myself) and I got it back, installed with no speedo reading. I mentioned this to him and he automatically assumed something unrelated and had already left for the day by the time I got down the street. Long story short I discovered the absence of the driven and drive gears inside the transmission. Conveniently, my old transmission was already gone (in spite of the fact I wanted it back) which had the accurate gears installed.

So I took the suggestion of some of you on the forum to buy the master kit on eBay. http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...27672000&ver=0 According to the seller, "For the drive gears: red 7, orange 8, green 9, and blue 10. For the driven gears: brown 18, white 19, blue 20, red 21, and grey 22." Since it's like throwing darts I installed the red set. At 60 MPH I'm reading 41 on the speedo. Before I go through the headache of dropping my yoke and tail shaft again, does anyone know the combination I should be using? I've tried using the various calc tools online but they really aren't telling me anything. I've got the standard 3.07 / 3.08 rear, sitting on 235/75R15s.

Last edited by StoningtonQB; 04-01-2021 at 01:31 PM.
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote