The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
K10-Kansas

Wheels spinning when in park

EDIT: After pulling off the pan I saw that my new steering column was shifting te wrong direction and I needed the move the distal lever from the 3pm position to the 9pm position. Before I had pulled off the pan, I realized I was starting the truck in D2 and could never even reach part because the linkage doesn't allow for the extent of the range needed to get to park. I'll have to replace the linkage in the future that allows for a greater range. In addition to this, my np203 won't go into the position closest to the seat. SO when I moved 1 notch from the seat thinking I was then in high, it was in neutral. And I had no clue that that allowed the drive shaft to spin until you all helped me out. Thanks. I got it all put back together today and it is working perfect.

I've got a 77 or 78 K10 chassis. I've just put in a 700r4 and ididit column recently so right now I'm trying to adjust the linkage since I felt like the truck was trying to pull forward while in park with my foot on the brake.

Since I felt like this was happening, and because it just seemed like a safer and easier way to go, and because I also wanted to see if the 4x4 was working and to see if i have an anytime kit, I pulled off the wheels and put the truck on 4 jack stands.

So, while in park (transmission shaft rotated counterclockwise if facing the driver's side of the transmission) my driver's rear wheel is spinning as if it's in drive. When I put it in neutral the passenger rear wheel is spinning.

I bought this truck, hauled it on a trailer, had the crate engine and transmission put in and have never driven it except on and off the trailer before parking it and then swapped out the steering column.

Last edited by K10-Kansas; 06-03-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: solution was found
K10-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote