The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
Yamariv

71 350 Rebuild advice needed - Head and Cam Suggestions

Hey Guys, I've been scouring the local classifieds for months to find a nice SBC to swap into my truck eventually.

I ended up finding a super clean complete 79k mile all original 71 2bbl 350 out of a Chev Biscayne(saw the video of it running in the car before being pulled) . There's still cross hatch in the cylinders and all the crank bearings are in great shape. I'm hoping to get away with polishing the crank, new bearings, new rings and a very light hone in the cylinders for the bottom end.

So my question is.. I like originality and want to keep the stock heads which are ok ish. The stock engine made 245hp with a 2bbl and it seems the 4bbls of that year made around 275hp. I have a 4bbl QJet and manifold to install for it.

I'd like to end up with 300-325hp, just a nice little bump up from stock but how do I pick the cam to match the heads? The heads are 76cc 1.94/1.5 inch valves which I know are just ok.

Is it realistic to have the machine shop do the heads and have a slightly bigger valve installed, nothing crazy but just a slight bit more flow. What cam would go well with this setup. I'd like a very very mild cam, something to just give me the extra 25-45hp from stock.
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote