The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
TX3100Guy

Electric power steering

I'm considering adding power steering to my 1953 Chevy truck. I've previously installed a unit from EZ Power Steering in a 1969 Jaguar E-Type (XKE) and it transformed the driving of that car. I suspect that the steering box and steering setup on the truck could use some assistance too. Here is a photo of my steering box, shortened column, and double D connector between the box and the Ididit. My current setup is the stock steering box with a significantly shortened column segment out of the box to support a universal Ididit tilt steering column.

Name:  IMG_3971.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  74.8 KB

The unit I'm looking at is from a company called EPAS Performance
I have sent the company multiple questions about how the unit is attached, how much shorter the Ididit column needs to be to accommodate the power unit, etc. More to come.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 9.57.33 AM.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  28.1 KB

Has any used this unit and or other electric power steering units. I have to go power steering because my 261 cu/in inline six engine is already driving a McCulloch supercharger, alternator and Vintage Air compressor, there is just no more room for a traditional power steering pump driven by a belt.

I know that Classic Performance Parts makes a new power steering box that bolts into the stock location, but it still needs a pump, unless there is a electric pump option that could fit in the truck, I don't think this unit would solve my problems.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote