The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
JPTL

Question Restoring a '66 C20. Have some originality questions

Although I'm not new to this forum, I didn't realize that only Premium members could post new threads - or even reply to existing threads. So I lurked for a year or so, but finally decided to pay as a Premium member so that I could post.
I've come to realize that this forum has members who are '60-'66 C10/C20 experts and purists. A year or so of searching has taught me a ton about my '66 C20, thanks to this forum.
I found this truck in Tucson 10 years ago. I bought it from the original owner's grandson. Kinda cool. It was an AZ truck it's whole life and has zero rust....even the little nooks & crannies under the long-since gone bed wood are rust-free.
I've decided to make it a mostly-original driver. Going back to the factory color: Turquoise with a white top. My brother set me up with some nice aged oak that I milled and joined for the bed. I was able to refinish the original rails. Against the advice of a friend of mine, I decided to keep the 8 lug steelies and mount new bias plies. I really like the vintage stock look. I'm guessing the ride won't be the greatest..
So my questions:
  • Were the wheels painted body-color, white or black for '66 C20 Custom? I did mine in white, but I'd like to know what was original.
  • There doesn't seem to be any signs of black CHEVROLET lettering in the aluminum grill. Was this lettering originally black?
  • The rear bumper appears to a Barden. It's a beast. I'm guessing it was a dealer-install. Did any C10s or C20s come from the factory with Barden bumpers?
  • Any idea what the Barden bumpers are tow-rated?
  • Any C20 owners out there tow with Barden bumpers?
  • I've seen various styles of mirrors mounted on C20s. Were there different styles with different mountings available?
  • Were door mirrors sometimes dealer-installed pre-sale, or per a customer's order?
  • I've ordered the '62-'66 ignition switch from ClassicParts.com but I'm having a hell of a time finding the factory connector. The original connector was cut out when the p.o. put in an aftermarket ignition switch. Will a '67-'72 connector work?
  • Any thoughts on where I can get a pair of '66 C20 fender emblems?

Any tips, tricks or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
JP

Last edited by JPTL; 10-22-2023 at 09:13 PM.
JPTL is offline   Reply With Quote