The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
Orange Crate

Hub Cap Removal Tool

I just had my Accuride rims powder coated and wanted to see how some stock hub caps would look with the new color of the rims (spinnaker white). I could NOT get the hub cap off (without scratching the rim). I spent a lot of time searching flea markets and swap meets for these decent hub caps (12" 4X4) so any more scratches or dents were not ok. It took a few minutes to come up with something to get them off without damage but here it is, it worked perfect and no scratches on the rims or caps. I have some 3/8" stainless rod to make exhaust hangers, so I used that along with a torch and a ball peen, added a small section of old hose at the pivot. The new tool needs to be applied as close to the "nub" on the rim as possible. I installed and removed the cap probably 15 times. I did notice on the rims that the four "nubs" are two different styles. It looks like two have a little more of a "hook' to them and then the other two are a little smoother to keep the cap centered. When I was using my new tool it worked best when applying it next to one of the nubs with the deeper hook. I have an original 72 eight lug rim and it also seems to have the two different type of nubs, but maybe I'm just making that up....idk. Enjoy!
Attached Images