The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2024, 10:20 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Adding resistance to household door hinges

I would like to ask you guys who know about household or possibly RV or trailer home stuff. I'm thinking of the door checks on our trucks that hold the doors in a certain position, but for home use.

Some of the doors in my house swing themselves to half closed position unless I use a door stop. I find it annoying but don't really want to re-hang or shim the doors, because I think the house will shift again and I will have to repeat. A temporary fix is to remove a hinge pin and whack it with a hammer to bend it, and re-install it. For one of the doors I use a magnet on the door stop to keep it open, but that only works if I open the door fully every time. I would like something better than bending a hinge pin and better than magnet if possible.

I am imagining there is a device that can add a small amount of resistance to a door hinge, or a separate device mounted at the top of the door like a pneumatic door closer. A very simple bar on a pivoting bracket that passes through a spring-tensioned hole on another pivoting bracket. Mount it between the top of the door and top door frame. Is there such a thing, and if so, what is it called and where can I get it?

An even better device I'm imagining for this purpose would be a spring operated thing that would close the door completely and gently, or open the door completely and gently, and it would switch from open or close function when the door passes through the mid-point of the swing. It would be best if the amount of tension or friction was barely noticeable when opening or closing the door.

I'll invent something if I have to, but I would prefer to just be a buyer.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote