The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
supersize75k5
the wierd guy

chop top convertable 72 pickup resto build!

Hi there guys, I have peeped over here for a little while now and Yukon Jack said some of you may enjoy my build up. This is only my second frame off custom so bear with me on some things.

I purchased and saved a clean 72 service truck from a friend who was going to just take it out to the desert and run it over I had some cash and knew that finding a rust free cab and such a solid one would make a great buildup!

Here we go!

what I started with, aug-14th or so

towing her home and around..

new parts

disassembly, amazingly every nut and bolt came off with out any ordeal, even the break and fuel lines looked new, the only rust on the frame is in the front, I think the person who started the disassembly may have sanded it down so it rusted as a result.?

Chop chop...makes me feel like I did something wrong or am a bad person..

here is what I am aiming to acomplish..

I plan to use a t-400 I just picked up, after I have it rebuilt, for the motor I am using my 454 I had machined for my 75 blazer I just took apart. I also plan to keep it 3/4 ton..alot of you may consider that ugly or stupid but I like to punch it And I have a eaton and a 14 bolt both are locked and have 4.10's so it will take my abuse that it will see from time to time

I have the top, but weather I make it a cap that I cap bolt on depends on if I chop down the winshild frame or rake it back. I live in Arizona, and my 75 was a full convertabe so I know what I am getting into

Also I would like input on taking out a section of my frame behing the cab, I plan to remove 14.5 inches so I can fit my 95 step side bed on there, or a 67-72 stepside bed if I can find a nice one. For the front I am getting a cowl from ricks and using some 68 fenders I have, I have already bought a cowl from ricks for my 86 project..cool people and 3 miles away

Has anyone used a 73 and up step side bed? I know the fenders are wider but the bed it's self apears to be the same?

thanks for the great board too!
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote