The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2024, 12:07 AM   #29
Getter-Done

Re: Wtb axillary fuel tank retaining nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle-nurse View Post
I believe those are 7/16x14- 12" carriage bolts with a special washer. I tried to find a supplier but no luck so far.
I have a contact at a bolt place.
So 12" is the measurement on the carriage bolt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE View Post
Will do. I didn’t get a chance to make any of the barrel parts today but I do have a line on a pile of 2” dia 1/8” thick stamped metal discs I’ll get this week. Getting my press to do what I want to those is the only thing I’m worried about. The rest is pretty trivial even with my clapped out old lathe. Worst case is I can turn those discs on the lathe too.
Did you turn any discs?
If so How did they turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS/SSx2 View Post
How many are looking for sets of the tank nuts? I had an OKC machine shop machine a set for me and for Knuckle Nurse. I thought they turned out great. If I can get an approximate count I will stop by the shop and see if he would make some more. I would connect you direct with the machine shop if he is willing. Here are what they look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS/SSx2 View Post
Just saw your post. I paid $200 for six nuts (average $33.33 each) a while back. Not sure what he is charging now that he knows for sure what it takes to make them.
That is Very reasonable considering time and materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbrads View Post
Thanks. That helps. I'm guessing that the sides of the shaft portion of the old flange assembly are rusted to the insides of the through holes in the tank. And you're right....there is a lot of crud in there that has accumulated over the years. I'll have to find a way to pick that stuff out first.

I was Gifted a Tank with 2 nuts that survived.

My plan is to clean out the through holes as best I can, seal the holes in the flange bottoms, then pour rust remover into the holes and let it sit. With any luck, some will creep down the rusted sides and loosen it enough for me to pound out from above with a pipe.
Appreciate your help Sir.
I used some Kroil oil .
It worked for me.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote