The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
enaberif

Re: Restoring Rusty

1) Quit running water! Your truck needs either antifreeze or something like "water wetter" (http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10) if you want to keep using water.

2) You only have a 4 blade FIXED fan on the truck which may not be enough cooling now for the truck.

3) You are running a aftermarket performance cam so you could probably run 16* to 18* base timing and be ok.

Don't forget that you did a lot of stuff to this truck that can affect other things in a negative way; For every action there is a reaction.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) Quit running water! Your truck needs either antifreeze or something like "water wetter" (http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10) if you want to keep using water.
Last night I drained the radiator and added properly mixed Antifreeze (50 water 50 coolant) FYI I did not use distilled water as I read that water is robbed of all its nutrients and I did not use drinking bottled water since the engine block is 40 years old and I did not hot tank it to clean it, as well as the radiator is all rusted up inside as well, had this been a brand new block and new rad I would have used drinking water, and the wife and kids would have had to drink tap water, ha ha

I feel like I need to explain my thinking process for using water. I was using water because it is much easier to clean off of the engine block if you have to remove the thermostat water outlet half a dozen times, as well as the garage floor. Also it is my understanding that Antifreeze lowers the freezing point of water as well as raises the boiling point, so I do not expect much change in my condition by running the green stuff, but we shall see. And finally I know many car racers that say they have to run straight water at the race truck so they don't spill antifreeze on the track, I know that is a fact, so if it is good enough to cool their engines which they push way harder (upwards of 100 MPH) than I am pushing Rusty (45 MPH, lol) water should cool my truck just dandily provided everything is in order (gaskets, bypass hoses, fan, radiator, etc.)

again Not arguing, just sayin'
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Well we added Antifreeze and saw no change, so it was time to try the Snake Oil under duress mind you, ha ha. We opted for the hy-per lube product for two reasons 1. it was on sale and B. it claimed to run even cooler than that Bed Wetter stuff

RESULT: no change and no surprise there at all

This is where I remind you that The Greg is no fan of Snake Oils, he has tried, Seafoam to pass SMOG (epic fail), stop a leak (not), valve chatter eliminator (wrong answer), and now this makes water wetter nonsense, The Greg is a firm believer in you find the problem, you understand the problem, you fix the problem the right way. No magic potion in the bottle is going to do that for you, it will make your wallet skinnier though.

FUN FACT: on the back of this bottle it reads (and this underlines my point / stubbornness for using water) "Using less than 50% anti-freeze will improve temperature reduction." so in my mind that says, use more water to run cooler
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-06-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote