The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
JB72

Help a new guy w/ his '72's exhaust...

First, I've been a longtime reader and now a firsttime poster.

Now onto the important stuff...I've got a '72 Chevy with a stock 350 engine.

I just replaced my old failing dual exhaust w/ a 2.25" setup with two Magnaflow SS mufflers hoping to acheive a nice deep sound w/ performance. The exhaust exits right out in front of the rear tires.

The truck had noticeably greater throttle response, but the sound is awful. Hardly any of the deep growl that I was seeking...and it sort of ticks like a leak is present but there isn't any...all of the ticking sound is coming directly out of the mufflers outlet.

So, here is my question. I don't want anything too loud that will cause a drone and resonance in the cab, but I want a nice deep rumble. What kind of mufflers would you recommend? I've been told by a local mechanic that the Magnaflows are GREAT on higher hp vehicles (300+) but since they are a straight thru design he said they don't sound nearly as good on lower hp vehicles as a chambered muffler will. He recommended I try a Flo-Pro MX 500, a Flowmaster Super 44, or a Cherry Bomb Pro or Vortec series.

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping my 260 horse 350 until it dies, so replacing the engine right now is not an option.
JB72 is offline   Reply With Quote