The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2002, 12:08 AM   #1
Rod

AC firewall cut outs in a non-AC cab?

So what do people do about AC firewall cut outs in a non-ac cab. You just recut to fit or what? The non ac cab is a little larger cut outs but in different places.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:39 AM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Rod,
we have done a couple of non air to air swaps. i use the section of firewall from an a-c truck and pop rivit it in place with some sealer behind it. once you bolt on the underhood suitcase it covers up everything. we then slice the dash underneath the dashpad, unbolt the ends and install the dash from a factory a-c truck. when all is done it looks 100% original.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:45 AM   #3
Low69CST

Friend of ours cut the firewall out of an A/C truck and I used that to make a pattern.

The pic is of my firewall. It use to be a heater only truck. You can see where I ran the Saber saw around the hole to the left and cut up the upper portion of the hole. This left hole is the only one that needs to be enlarged. The hole doesn't have to be as big as I have mine, just I had it painted so I didn't weld a piece in where I didn't need it. Also, if you look at the top left of the firewall, you'll see a hole in the firewall and a dimple above it. You need to cut a hole there for the heater core ends to come out. There is also a 3/8th inch hole in the top right that has to be welded up, then 4 different 3/8th inch holes drilled in the fire wall. Then another hole, about an inch, drilled in the engine well, the part that curves in the center of the cab. There is also a dimple there locating the hole for you. Thats the only things that I've found so far to cut on the firewall. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM or email me.

Marshall
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:50 AM   #4
Blue68

OR, you go with an aftermarket a/c setup that will work in your non-a/c cab.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote