The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Spoof

Bell tech 2.5 drop spindle issue

Anyone out there installed the bell tech drop spindles? I got mine a few months back and I was just comparing them with my just removed 71, 1/2ton spindles. The ball joint holes are perfect but the tie rod holes are too big, instead of .600 0f an inch they're .750. I popped a tie rod end in and they're definately sloppy.
When I first recieved them I called to confirm I had the right part number for my truck ( cuz you know!) and was assured I did. Hmmm, I wonder whats up. I'll call tech on monday I guess but I wonder if anyone knows of a tie rod end that would fit?
Thanks all.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I didn't think Bell Tech made dropped spindles for 67-72's..... may be for '73-up.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:17 AM   #3
Spoof

No, that used to be the case, and you had to swap in 73 and up ball joints etc. Now they make pre 73 spindles, but not very goddamm well.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Is Belltech telling you this is a year-specific item? If it's a distributor I'd have to say they're probably blowing smoke up your patootey. The larger opening sounds like the same size as a 73+ tie rod end.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
Spoof

Lordco, the auto supply store swore up and down they would bolt in with no mods, I was skeptical, he calls tech," no problem, bolt right in"
When I recieve the spindles , labelled 71 chev 1/2 ton, I'm still skeptical so I call in the part number, "yeah, they'll bolt right in"
True about the balljoints, untru regarding tie rod ends.
I just got back from the auto parts store with my 73 inner tie rods as XXL suggested. Fit is perfect, so its and easy fix since they will connect to 71 sleeves all right and I was preparing to replace them anyway.
Will call tech support and ream out monday. Apparently confirming and re-confirming just isn't adequate. GRRRRRRR

Thanks for help!
Old 09-28-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The upper balljoint was also different in 73,lowers remained the same. i wasnt aware that Belltech had any earlier than 73 spindles for the trucks either. Good luck......Crazy Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 08:01 PM   #7
LILREDGMC

Spindles

Just my two cents, someone will have to adjust it for the Canadian conversion. What everyone has basically said, is true. Sounds like 73 spindles and someone assumed that they fit, but did not know. ECE had a close tie with Bell Tech, and Bell eventually would refer the early models to ECE because they were only interested in the late model and newer trucks. That is a beginning of the true 67-72 spindle with the correct holes for the early truck BJ's and TE's. So, someone isn't confessing what they know or don't. You can put the later in the earlier model but with the correct BJ's and ends. Its a matter of what you prefer and if you want a mix match of parts. My two cents in US. Sorry you had to suffer at the hands of one who didn't really know.
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 08:29 PM   #8
Spoof

The belltech spindles fit the 71 balljoints perfectly. Only the tierod has to be changed to a 73 style. Unlike the before when you had to swap the whole shebang. Belltech hypes that you don't have to swap the balljoints any longer but neglect to mention the necessary tie rod swap.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 AM   #9
nate68

i got bell tech spindles a couple years ago from ECE (when they still carried bell tech stuff) and it took me a while to figure out why my turning radius was terrible. well the stops on them were like way longer than the stock spindles (i'm running an 82 front suspension) so i cut them down and now it turns like it should. just make sure nothing rubs and all that good stuff.