The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2002, 10:23 PM   #1
lotik
drag it like you stole it

bag brackets?

ok i read through past post and everyone seems to be doing somthing different. for the front: two flat pieces of steel, one flat/one cup (which goes on top?). i believe this may depend on personal prefference. two flat pieces seems easiest, but may fully compress your bag and keep the truck from going lower. this may not be true. but if i were to run a cup, how tall should it be and what angle should be cut on bottom? i am going to be running slam specialties es-82's all the way around. the widest diamter this big achieves at any height is 7.75". this bag gives lots of lift, which i need since the truck is being bodydropped 3".

now for the rear. some say mount them in the stock spring spot. but this spot looks like it will not provide much lift. if you built brackets and mounted them on the frame and tariling arm further up you would achieve alot more lift, correct?

also, can you get trailing arm bushings at a local auto parts store or do you have to order them from a 67-72 specific company?
Old 10-01-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
lotik

anyone?
Old 10-01-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

Talking

When you mount them in the stock location, you should get about 8" of lift.
You are correct, if you mount them further up on the trailing arm you will achieve more lift. You would have to fab a bracket that hung off the side of the trailing arm to line up with the frame. I think you would be suprised of the lift in the stock location.
I was checkin out your signature. Looks like we think alot alike. LOL. I just ordered my 20's last fri should be here this fri. YEA!!!
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:13 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: bag brackets?

Quote:
Originally posted by lotik
now for the rear. some say mount them in the stock spring spot. but this spot looks like it will not provide much lift. if you built brackets and mounted them on the frame and tariling arm further up you would achieve alot more lift, correct?
Yes, but at the expense of leverage. Remember, that as the fulcrum point moves up the trailing arm, you get MORE moment ("lift") but it requires more work (air pressure) and since air compresses, the suspension is going to ride much rougher.

Your best bet to increase lift it to design a secondary lever (secondary to the one that's already there in the form of the swingarm). Picture a lever that is bagged on one end, the pivot point is not in center. This means that you're going to get additional lift from the other end... for every 1" of bag travel, you'll get 1 x n inches of lift. Then you have that other end push down on the truck's swingarm, thus multiplying the lift even further. Of course, the IMA (ideal mechanical advantage) is tough to locate. Suffice it to say that GM probably got the IMA right on the swingarm and spring geometry, so trying to stay near that is probably what you want.

{rambling off}

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
lotik

thanks for the input. any suggestions about the front. i have all my bags ordered. just waiting on them. i am in the process of moving as well. i am having to put the truck on hold a bit. i am very impatient.. hehe
Old 10-01-2002, 11:46 PM   #6
Dropt72Shortbed

alter images makes bag brackets for our trucks.

larry (excellent guy, ask about him at sportruck.com) has them for only $75+ shipping (http://www.innovativeairsuspension.com/)

honestly i could make them myself but for $75 id rather get theirs, theyll probably be alot better looking that anything i fab up and id rather save the time it would take me to make my own, measuring out the angles for cutting the lower cup, tracing out the upper plate with cardboard etc...

im ordering mine tomorrow.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote