The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
1976K5CHALET

Need a little 72 Help Fellas....

As some of you know everything i own is buried in storage until the new house is built. So i thought i'd ask my Gen 1 brothers for some help and advise. Just got the chalet straightened out finally...it took a new msd tbi dizzy...some wiring...some more wiring and a new howell harness plus 14 degrees and we are back in buisness. Anyways enough all ready about my junk. Decided to tear into my father in laws garage queen today...the 72 was owned by my mother in laws dad...and its been in the family since 74. Tore down the dizzy and it had much more than the 30K play in the shaft....and part of the shaft didn't look so well so i am planning on ordering a brand new pertronix dizzy to get rid of the points all together...the coil was ugly where the wire makes contact and the wires are ancient. Anybody have and experience with doing away with the points...preference...msd vs. pertronix etc.? Bought some bosch wires to replace the nasty old ones as i figured sticking with oem 7mm to not cause routing issues with the oem holders which are all still present except the plastic ones on the trees on the back of the intake. Pulled the carb as it looks nasty so i figured if i'm going this far i might as well do the whole enchilada. It has that goofy electric valve on the pass side of the intake that if i member right was for emissions...so i would really appreciate a wiring diagram...or a copy of a slick color diagram i have heard about to get rid of the voltage regulator while i am at it and then i can make sure i get things right when i swap in the new electronic dizzy. Many moons ago i ran a large cap hei in my 72 jimmy...but every time i got her off camber it knocked the cap off the dizzy so i think sticking with a small cap is the way to go.

This 24K dial up at home is driving me nutts but i should be back in the field tomorrow with a broad band connection. My email is k5nutt@hotmail.com if you want to send the diagram or diagrams and parts used etc....pics...directly to me. I believe i have the 2 gig account as i pay for it so fire away.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Baketown Scotty

Re: Need a little 72 Help Fellas....

I recently got rid of my points system and put in a MSD electronic ignition with external coil. The only challenge was replacing the white braided wire that goes from the firewall, turns into two red wires, one to starter (R) and one to coil. There is a thread on here somewhere that says this is a resistance type wire that needs to be replaced. Changed it out and went straight to coil. The new starter I put in did not have the (R) post. Started it up last week for the first time in 4 years. I danced around like a little girl. Embarassed the hell out of my kids.
Baketown Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
Here're links to all our FAQ's. Wiring diagrams and conversions should be listed under "Engine Electrical" I think.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
cdowns

i know a few other guys with the pertronix dizzys all have been happy with the units you should also use thier flamethrower coil with the dizzy when i bought mine i found the best price at speedway motors
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote