The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
akjarhead

Timing issues?

My truck is having issues with loss of power/performance..i wasn't sure if it was possibly timing or the carb was screwy. After shutting it off it sputters and jolts then shuts off...don't really like it but it also smells sweet like poss a bad head gasket...I don't know too much about these motors yet but any help would be great. Thanks

Tony
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Timing issues?

That sputter is known as deiseling, I heard it was caused by low octane gas. I don't know. I had a straight 6 so it, and thought it was going to bloe up. I tried my best to blow it up and it never did.

What kind of motor is in it? v8? v6? straight 6?

Any new tune ups? plugs, wires, cap, rotor?

What kind of carb? 2 barrel four? edelbrock, carter afb, holley, quadrajet?

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
akjarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
That sputter is known as deiseling, I heard it was caused by low octane gas. I don't know. I had a straight 6 so it, and thought it was going to bloe up. I tried my best to blow it up and it never did.

What kind of motor is in it? v8? v6? straight 6?

Any new tune ups? plugs, wires, cap, rotor?

What kind of carb? 2 barrel four? edelbrock, carter afb, holley, quadrajet?
it's an edelbrock crate 350 with a 4 barrel holley street avenger carb and edelbrock airgap intake...haven't done that yet..thinking about timing it tonight and I KNEW it was low octane gas my buddy said no your good running 87 octane...i knew i shoulda kept running the good stuff...i think i'm going to have to replace the head gasket as well because it has almost a sweet smell to it and that's no good...we'll see thanks bro
Old 11-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
lurch115

i would try putting a higher octane fuel in it first....just to be safe try a tank of 93 octane.....and then set the timing.... if the dieseling doesn't go away you could also check your idle and see if its set too high....should be around 1,000 rpms or probably a little lower at a warm idle....and if the sweet smell doesn't go away then i would be looking for a bad head gasket, cracked head or block....

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote