The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
cheyenne10

69-70 NOS grille questions

1st) - will new GM/NOS 69-70 grilles have a part number stamped on either the outer shell or inner insert? If so where?

2nd) What should someone cleanup a new grille with that has been sitting in rafters dirty and with fly specs on it?

3rd) Did anyone make an after market grill in the past with chevrolet stamped across center bar?

4th) I remember a post and discussion about the black lines sourounding the center bar and their extensions out to the headlight buckets, can someone refresh me on the outcome of this discussion?

5th and last) did 69 or 70 grill insert originally have the black areas in them on the very slightly recessed areas? One was solid silver and one had the balck vertical areas
Old 11-01-2002, 02:34 AM   #2
Low69CST

I'm not sure if NOS grills have a part number on them, I bought one that was supposedly NOS, but I wasn't for sure it is or not. To clean one up, use soap water, then rubbing compound to get the shine back. Goodmark is making grills with chevy stamped in them. I haven't looked at one very close so I don't know how accurately they are made. A 69 grill insert, when you look at it you will see the gray squares, a 70 insert yo will see the black horizontal lines broken up by gray areas.

Hope that helps you out some.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

cheyenne10, I started a looooong post awhile back about the differences between 69 and 70 grills. The conclusion was that they are the same grill with different paint schemes. I put a graphic on my web site to demonstrate the differences in the paint schemes on the two grills. Hope this helps.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:16 PM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Are you sure goodmark has the stamped lettering 69-70 grills? As far as I know they are only available from G.M. authorized parts dealers? I have been selling G.M. NOS grills out of G.M. dealers in CA, OH, PA, FL and TX by UPS to save customers shipping costs for 12 years and i'm sure goodmark grills are reproduction non lettered grills. The gm restoration parts logo means they are licensed gm reproductions and not New Old Stock G.M. parts. Not knocking goodmark they have some great parts and some not so great parts like every other truck parts dealers. To answer the other question, no part #'s on G.M. NOS inner or outer grills for 67-72 grills.
Yes the 69-70 stamped blackened lettering and inset is only on G.M. grills.
The G.M. inner grills are the correct color.

67-8 grill trim is G.M. part# 3884182
69-70 outer grill G.M. part# 3985054
71-72 outer grill G.M. part# 3990701

These are available through your local G.M. dealer and other truck parts dealers who sell G.M. NOS parts.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
cheyenne10

JOHNNYP'S EARLIER POST

Thanks for the comments.

The earlier post can be found here
http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthre...&threadid=2983

The earlier post covers a lot of what I have seen or learned. Anyone gained any better opinions since our discussions before? Would I be wrong in wanting a 70 inner grille in a stock/restifed 69 swb truck? The insert I found does nto have the 1970 blacked out sections, I just think their cool (a little different). Should a new grill inner and outer be preassmbled before install with mounting brackets and hood latch? Are the mounting brackets the same on the 71/72 grilles as on the 69/70 ones?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:19 PM   #6
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Assemble your inner grill and outer brackets then install the grill to the fenders then put your center bracket and hood latch on. The center bracket is differant on 69-70 and 71-72 because of the center bar on 69-70's. We have brackets in stock for 67-8, 69-70 and 71-72 sandblasted and primed.