The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
hewlett2002000

1966 chevrolet C10 LWB stepside

Howdy yall, just thought id share some pics and info of my new truck. found it 2 streets over with a for sale sign on it, just sitting there with a flat tire and a busted window, i felt so sorry for it i had to buy it. he wanted $1500 for it but i offered $800, we agreed on $900 and she was mine. he had no idea weather it would start, but i went down there and a couple hours, my spare gas tank for my other truck, some gas and starter fluid she started right up. i drove it home with nothing but the e-brake, pulled in my drive way, and it went dead. fuel pump. anyways ive had it since a few days before christmas and i now have it running good, found out it was a 350, 4 on the floor. VERY, VERY strong engine, runs excellent. i fixed the brakes, and figured out somebody put disc brakes on front so thats good. i have new parts in the mail. edelbrock performer intake, holley 4bbl carb 600cfm. relocating tank under the bed, so i ordered a 22 gallon fuel cell, gonna replace all fuel lines, electric fuel pump. i have a practically new HEI distributor im gonna put in it. shes coming together. yall let me know what ya think or if you have any ideas.
Attached Images

hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: 1966 chevrolet C10 LWB stepside

i also have a question about my fan shroud. this truck had a IL6 in it originally and it still has the smaller radiator in it, but no fan shroud. and whats really weird is the engine sits offset to the right, and i have the radiator and shroud out of my parts truck that has a 283 and glide, but the shroud will hit the cooling fan the way the engine is sitting. and im afraid to run the engine for very long cause the gauge doesent work(going to fix it when new intake is installed). i think its the temp sender, ive checked the wires and they look fine, might be gauge idk. any info on offset engine? somebody probably dident know what they were doing, but ive never pulled or installed a engine eaither.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
desertrat

I was expecting to see a "stepside", must be a typo. As far as you're engine sitting offset I would take a look at you're motor mounts, are they stock or homemade? You're motor mounts could be broke or wore out. You mentioned the disk brake front end and I notice that it is a five lug up front. Did they put a differant front clip on there? If you can take pictures of the engine compartment than we can all see what's going on in there and see if we can give you some answers.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
hewlett2002000

yea i fleetside. i was looking at a very nice stepside right before i posted this, sorry. i dont think the clip has been changed. i do know the disc brakes came off of a 1974 chevrolet C10. and im not exactly sure why theres a oil tube in the intake and on the valve covers, wrong intake maybe? idk but heres some pics of the engine and best i could get of motor mounts.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
desertrat

It actually looks like the motor is offset to the left (driver's side). I would think that the previous owner somehow utalized the straight 6 mounts but I have a camaro clip on my '63 so I couldn't tell you what the engine mounts are suppose to look like but I would definetly start crawling around under you're truck to see what else is differant. Is you're trans mount centered? If so with the engine offset you're driveline is probably coming in at a hard angle. Keep us posted. Someone with the knowledge will eventually chime in.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
littlee_domn8r
AKA "Hurricane Hank"

Hard to tell for sure, but the motor mount looks the same as mine. I bought a new shroud from a supplier(can't remember who) specific for our year with v8 conversion. My truck does have the heavy duty radiator, though.

"They say hard work never killed anyone, But why take a chance?

63 GMC C10 Custom LWB 355/350 AT
00 Chevy Silverado 1500 base V6/AT
07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 5.3 V8
littlee_domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
ol Curt

The I6 didn't have a shroud on it.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
hewlett2002000

well im pretty sure there the right mounts. i dident know the IL6 dident use a shroud. tomorrow im going to see what i can do with the shroud i have. if you would like any more pictures let me know.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 AM   #9
rickf

The IL6 did have a fan shroud. At least, my 1964 C10 with 230L6 had a shroud. But it was made of cardboard and only lasted 20 years.

The engine mount in the picture looks stock to me. It is same as my C10.

Re: "I would think that the previous owner somehow utalized the straight 6 mounts", I would be surprised if they didn't. The 230L6 and 250L6 use the same mounts at 283V8 and 350V8. My 230L6 came out (after 42 years on the road) and a 71 GMC 350 bolted directly in, to same bell housing, same engine mounts.

If that truck had a 292 to start with, that is a different story. The passenger side engine mount on 292 is further forward. Perhaps they did start with a 292, and cobled the passenger side for the V8, and that's where you alignment problem is?

-rcf
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
hewlett2002000

i have no idea what IL6 was in it, but that would make sense that it used to be a 292, and that they used the stock mounts. because the way the engine is sitting it looks like the passenger side mount is further forward. will that hurt anything? but even if it wont hurt anything that would annoy the hell oughta me knowing i have a crooked engine. you know i might just pull that engine cause i need to replace the Rear Main Seal anyway, and if it is the mounts fix um while its out. that would make it a hell of alot easier to clean the engine, and i want to clean up and paint the engine compartment. i got a buddy that has his own little mechanic shop, and hes got the lift and stand and everything i might just take it over there and do it. yall just let me know what you think, and thanks for the help.

John
Old 02-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
Woogeroo

neat truck.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #12
hewlett2002000

i finally got my fuel cell and im rerouting the fuel line in the bed, and i was just wondering if i should go ahead and put a fuel filter on the tank side too? i have one on the carb side. im using hi temp rubber hose to run from the cell to where the stock line connects under the cab.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
rickf

If that is a 292 engine mount on passenger side, I'd say yes, it is a problem. Since it would not line up with the V8 mount on engine, there would have to be some sort of little adapter plate between the two. I'd expect to see something like a steel plate from top of 292 mount going back to V8 engine mount. Since it is likely a single bolt through this plate to each mount, it would be able to pivot on either/both bolts. This would give you some sidways movement. Also there is a lot of leverage on it, so it could flex (or permantently bend) up and down.

You should be able to easily tell by looking. Your pic showed the driver side mount, and you see the engine block mount and rubber pad line up on center of frame engine mount. The passenger side should look the same, if it does not then something is wrong.

A stock mount should not be hard to find, they are the same for a lot of years.

Re the fuel filter, by all means yes, a filter between the tank and pump would protect your pump. It has been on my list for too long now, to add such to mine. I favor the the marine style with screw on filter canister (looks like typical oil filter).
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
1oldtruck

Eighteen years ago, I ditched the 292 I6 in my 63 in favor of a large journal 327 out of a 67/68 Camaro. It's been a while and I can't remember which side was involved but I definitely had to change out what I call the "motor stand" (the metal bracket that bolts to the frame/crossmember) on one side only. The smaller I6 engines and V8's all use the same motor stands so you should be able to easily find one at the junkyard like I did. With the right motor stand a stock small block engine mount available at any parts store should work. Worked out perfectly for me!

Mike
04 MINI Cooper S (my commuter- don't laugh, it's a blast to drive!)
1oldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote