The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
sommsdrumz

help preparing my new 67' for a 1k road trip

hi, i'm new to the board and just baught a 1967 4x4, looks sort of a frankenstein. it has:

holley carb (not sure which modle)
edlebrock highrise intake
hooker headers
flowmaster mufflers
rebuilt 350 mild cam engine 5k miles ago

im going to be driving it about 1000 miles home (central utah to seattle) and i'm wondering what all i should make sure is done/checked before the long trip, i am leaning twards synthetics (brands any one?) engine/tranny/differential in a manditory fluid change. i am adding a MSD 8500 super HEI kit right off the bat.

pics:

thanks and enjoy the pics!
sommsdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
bills67

Re: help preparing my new 67' for a 1k road trip

Congrats on the new truck! Sounds like a good once over is all you need. Check/change all fluids, make sure tires are in decent shape, fill her up with gas and hit the road. When I found my 67 behind a barn it needed just a little more attention. It had sat for 6 years, I rebuilt the carb and starter, installed new battery, some new fuel, and to my supprise it fired up. After some new tires, a driver's side door and a basic tune up I drove it 200 miles home.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
bills67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

As far as the synthetics go, save your money for the moment.
While I'll be the very first to jump up and tell you all the benifits of the better oils, you may end up with something expensive going out on your way home, and mobile one (the best for the dollar) is pretty expensive when you do engine and tranny. I have like 75 bucks worth in my tranny pan as we speak.
I WOULD however, give it an engine oil and filter chainge (napa gold, best for the money... just say no to fram) check the condition and level on the tranny and diffs. Inspect the fuel lines one end to the other, all vac lines need looked at, inspect/adjust the brakes, chack the tires and hit the road. inspecting the belts and hoses is a good idea, as is the condition/level in the rad.
The fuel filter looks new, it has a K&N filter which lets crap in the engine for a million miles, and generally looks decent from the photos.
As for calling it a frankenstein, it may well be, but the items you listed is just a rebuilt engine with an eye towards performance.
A cell phone and VISA could be your absolute best friend.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
uncle

Maybe a fan shroud.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

just knowing the condition of the fluids is the best thing you can do to prepare for the trip. I would definitely change the engine oil and tranny fluid before departing so at least you'll have a warm and fuzzy on that. After that I'd check the diff's, trasfer if necessary, and make sure all you're joints are lubed up in the lower end. After that just check you're brake fluid, if its low, look for leaks with the aid of an assistant. Check your coolant, if its brown or offcolored replace it. Check the powersteering fluid and you're good. Last thing which is the most important, I'd go and put some local miles on it before hitting hte long road. This will definitely boost your confidence in the vehicle before hitting the road. Hope your trip goes well. I've done a couple roundtrips in my 71 from Nebraska to NC and one from NC to Oklahoma and the only 2 bad things that happened to me were a clamp busting on a fuel line by the carbuerator and then i had a coil burn up just east of TN one time. Thank god I had pulled over to get something to eat during a thunderstorm and when I went to fire it up it was a no go so at least I wasn't stuck out on the interstate somewhere.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

uncle... that really wouldn't matter on the freeway. A shroud only helps at low ground speeds, and if the fan is located properly, it'll be fine without in town too... assuming the rest of the cooling system is up to snuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
sommsdrumz

Talking Re: help preparing my new 67' for a 1k road trip

yeah, my dad found it for me and im definetly gonna drive it around town a couple days before hitting the road, this is probally nill, but would there be much of a difference in a long trip if i put regular all season tires on it? i wonder how much MPG it will get with the MSD, lol

thanks for the replies!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

I'll guess 8 MPG
Old 06-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
sommsdrumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I'll guess 8 MPG
haha actually was kind of estimating the same ball park, 8-10 was my guess..
Old 06-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
gtomechanic

The bed is the only part that looks like a 1967. You might want to compare the title and registration to the VIN plate? Also the master cylinder appears to be at a strange angle and to be leaking around the lid. so check brake fluid for sure.
gtomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
watahyahknow

it would be wize to bring some tools and a spare drivebelt maibe even a can of extra oil and some water .
make sure you have enough fluids with you to keep youreself in perfect running order too , get plenty of rest before beginning the trip and take some sunglasses with you , when youre tired and there like weldingspots flashing in youre line of vision halfway during the trip you better give youre body and eyes a rest for a while , these things caused me to wreck a realy nice car a while back

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
sommsdrumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
it would be wize to bring some tools and a spare drivebelt maibe even a can of extra oil and some water .
make sure you have enough fluids with you to keep youreself in perfect running order too , get plenty of rest before beginning the trip and take some sunglasses with you , when youre tired and there like weldingspots flashing in youre line of vision halfway during the trip you better give youre body and eyes a rest for a while , these things caused me to wreck a realy nice car a while back

heh, yeah things to think about i will do that! its 968 miles and yahoo says its 14 hours and some change, lol

P.S. Longhorn Man: i love your site!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

Thanks for the kind words on my site.
1000 miles in 14 hrs isn't all that far fetched... I've done better personally.
Quote:
The bed is the only part that looks like a 1967. You might want to compare the title and registration to the VIN plate
Jeff... good eye!
The cab looks like it may be a 71/72 (kinda looks like a floating throttle) and the front clip apears to be a 69/70 piece.
So now, back to the frankenstein comment....
Are there any more photos to look at? I *THINK* I see a throttle cable on the carb.

I'd want to look at that throttle spring real good too, see if there is another wayto hook it up, that's not the best angle to have it sitting... and trust me, an engine stuck in any position other than idle, is NOT fun.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
sommsdrumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Thanks for the kind words on my site.
1000 miles in 14 hrs isn't all that far fetched... I've done better personally.

Jeff... good eye!
The cab looks like it may be a 71/72 (kinda looks like a floating throttle) and the front clip apears to be a 69/70 piece.
So now, back to the frankenstein comment....
Are there any more photos to look at? I *THINK* I see a throttle cable on the carb.

I'd want to look at that throttle spring real good too, see if there is another wayto hook it up, that's not the best angle to have it sitting... and trust me, an engine stuck in any position other than idle, is NOT fun.

nope, thats all i have unfortunately, what would be a better position to hook that spring up to, like twards the firewall? i will take a look at that when i get there july 03.. i was toying with the idea of installing one of thoughs audiovox crusie controls, is there vaccum lines to hook the servo up 2?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #15
nplocoman
never finish start another

Don't forget to get some radiator hose's, They always look good on the outside Is that orange heater hose a good one?

Last edited by nplocoman; 06-17-2007 at 11:46 PM.
nplocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
sommsdrumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplocoman View Post
Don't forget to get some radiator hose's, They always look good on the outside Is that orange heater hose a good one?
i have no idea, ill bring spares though, and maybe a bit of fuel line, theres a few places that are in the middle of no where on the way up where its a 50 mile corridor of trees or desert haha