The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Re: Rocker replacement 101

If the kick panel fits good and it should if you have been following the steps Go ahead and weld, grind and prime.
Next is the A-post, you will want to trim some off the top or alot depending what kid of shape your is in. Mine I needed about all it had so I trimmed of about 1/4" and bolted it back in place for it's last scribing. Then I pulled it off and re-cut the A-post to the new scribe line. Then for the last time bolt it in a weld it up. Make sure you have cut out the hinge bolt holes if your patch is that high. Once you grind it smooth, prime it and move on to the outer rocker!

For the rest of this you will need to go to page two post 33 because I did not leave enough blank posts and took to many pics!

Kevin
LFD inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-23-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstx View Post
I got so caught up in my own BS, I forgot to ask the question. Can you detail how do you deal with maintaining/improving door/fender alignment throughout the repair?
Thats an easy one! Get the new rocker ready to weld on but just use a few sheet metal screws to hold it in place and re-hang the door and check the gaps. I might hang the fenders but have not decided yet. I will show pics!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho71 View Post
Thanks,

I do have one question though...Why do they put a hole in the front end of the rocker, and then sell a plug for it? Does it serve a purpose? Just kinda weird if it doesn't.

Jay
Not really sure but I plan on using that hole to spray "body wax" in their to help stop future rust. Don't know why the factory did it because they did not use it for rust protection

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Rokcrln

Quote:
did you weld the hinge bolt hole to the new piece? does it still move so you can adjust the door? Can you get a close up of that weld?
No it is not welded to teh new patch panel. The clip that holds in the threaded plate is welded above the top two bolt holes and was still solid. So all I did was cut out a hole for the bolt to go thru and still have room to adjust like the ones above it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by augie; 04-09-2011 at 02:44 PM.