The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
WELD4DAYS

Need help with engine codes!

I have a 2002 Silverado with 4.3 V6,5 speed.My engine light has been on for awhile.It is using alot of gas and it's missing when you drive it.The first code is P0102(mass air flow low input).The secon code is P0420(catalyst bank 1)something like that.I've heard it could be the Mass airflow sensor,or maybe the O2 sensors.Can someone help me on where to start looking for the problem.It has lost power.It has about 80,000 miles on it.I don't want to buy sensors that I don't need.Please give me any advice you might have.Thanks alot.
WELD4DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
bwood

Re: Need help with engine codes!

I have delt with similar issues on S10 Blazers with the same engine. The most recent got worse over a period of about a year. It finally got to the point that it would stall if the AC was on when it started. The mileage dropped to about 10 from 18ish. THe MAF sensor lit the SES light. I replaced it with a new NAPA unit and now it runs like a new one. They make a MAF sensor cleaner (I believe CRC chemicals makes it). It is suppost to safely clean the sensor and remove residue. I have seen excess oil from over oiled K&N filters collect on the MAF screen and sensor wires. This spray worked well to remove the oil.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
WELD4DAYS

Re: Need help with engine codes!

Thanks for your help. I guess I will pick up a MAF. I really hope thats the problem.It's not a cheap part.I have a K&N filter right now and I tried cleaning the MAF.I probably used carb cleaner. I don't know if that would hurt it.I'm going back to a stock filter when I get the new sensor.I hope to pick one up today.Thanks
WELD4DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote