The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

nhra- rant -

ok i been a memeber for over 30 yrs,but this new rule of racing 1000 ft for saftey due to the death scott kalitta, so know there setting up these topfuel and i see more tire spinning than ever, it seams to me there set these clutches really light set up ,even ashely force lit it up before the 1/8 mile
and there showing how the new run off stage is set up and its going to be at every strip by next year .240 ft of peet gravel pit then there 3 set of nets
6 footer and 12 footer then 19 foot net and inclosed with concrete wall with 8 foot retainer fence on top
this i belive is to bring back the full 1/4 mile and top speed racing
just my 2 cents

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex

Last edited by fastwillie 696969; 08-31-2008 at 06:22 PM.
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: nhra- rant -

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Hot Rod Association / ESPN, Inc.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i found it on other web page didnt post it

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

They have talked about the 1000ft thing for many years. It was one of the original ideas to slow them down. They didn't do it though, instead they have implemented other things instead. Spec gears, lower % of nitro, etc.

Scott's crash, no matter how horrific, had nothing at all to do with the length of the track....or really even the speed of the car. He was simply un-conscious and unable to do anything to stop the car.

It's not like the 320ft shorter timed area actually slows them down anyway? They take off the same and reach the 1000ft at nearly the same speed. On a good run, they are over 270MPH at the 1/8th? The only thing they really gain is 320ft more stopping distance. Does that really help? I guess it would depend on the track, that are all different.

Maybe some kind of auxillary emergency stopping mechanism?
I like Force's "Burst Panel" cables to deploy the 'chutes....How about one step farther? Remote (radio) switch? They are used as "ignition kill" switches in several other sports. Certainly a simple solenoid could do the same? Maybe even for fire bottles too?

I really hate this 1000ft thing though....It ruins all of the records. This season can never be properly counted and will always have an asterisc in the books. It is a total slap in the face to Shoemacher's record setting year

Just MHO

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 09-01-2008 at 06:32 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote