The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

My 71 LWB 2/4 static drop - Pinion agle question

To start this out my truck sat right at factory height as measured in the LMC catalog.

So I went with the 2" drop spindles and 4" drop springs (variable rate as sold by summit) out back thinkin all would be well. All the parts were McGautys (spelling?) I also got new shocks for the rear.

I did the front first and it ended up around 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches.
Moving out back I installed these extremely whimpy looking springs (comparatively) along with the drop shocks. The truck settled down at nearly 5 1/4" drop.

So now my 2/4 is more like 2-1/2 / 5!!! Now I'm not usually one to look a gift horse in the mouth, a freebie every once in a while is a great thing, don't cha know.

Unfortunately it just didn't produce the visual effect I had in my minds eye. It came out level if not slightly lower in the back. I sat and stared while I drank a soda, pondering my options. I guess I could take the rear springs out and try and return them or exchange them for something else.

Or I could pull the frond-end apart again and shorten those springs up a bit. Maybe the backs not too low, but the fronts not low enough!
Long story short. Pulled the front springs and took approximately 3/4 a coil off and put it all back together, again.

Now she sits down almost exactly where I pictured it.(Still need the the new wheels and tires tho)I been thinking maybe Chrome smoothies 15 x 10 and 15 x 8 with say 275/60 and 245/60 Goodrich T/A's (easy on the wallet, hehe)

So anyway, what I was gettin at. I was just out mocking up a rear stabilizer and got to wondering just how much have I changed the pinion angle? I don't recall much mention about pinion angle in any of the posts about static drops. Is there a common consensus? The pinion appears to pointed slightly downward, of course I was twisted up pretty hard trying to wrangle that sway bar. I don't have an angle finder right now. I'm sure though that Harbor Freight has one that I can get the job done with pretty inexcheaply. Is it correct that ideally the pinion and the tranny angles should match up pretty closely?

And while I was laying there complaining about how hard it is to get under this dang thing now, I have just about decided to put off the new wheels and tires for a bit and dig a pit or build a set of those used car lot display ramp/stands so I can work on the bottom side. Lots of stuff needs tending to down there, ayeh.

I spoke of visual effects earlier, so here's the pics. The before
(Sorry 'bout the shadows in the wells, can't even see the tires! See Ten I am not)

and after shortening the front springs.

Add in about another inch or so of rake with tire stagger? and fill the wells with chrome and rubber? Some Canary Yellow with two fat Black Ralley stripes, tint the winders, lose the tool box, bumpers, tripod mirrors,..., LMAO

Tell me, what do ya think about:
  • The pinion angle question
  • The Stance
  • and the Dream

Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: My 71 LWB 2/4 static drop - Pinion agle question

Looks really good
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
leddzepp

Looks great. I think ECE says you do not need to worry about pinion angle for drops up to 6". Might want to give them a call, they are very helpful.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I did a 4 in drop with springs in the rear.I haven't noticed any PA problems.It might make a difference if you were drag racing but the stock suspension worked and would have drooped the 4 in when loaded heavy.The trailing arms "may" have been designed to account for any amount of droop from suspension loading since these trucks were originally built for hauling and may have drooped that much by design.
I like the stance since it's almost i dentical to mine.I'm using Rally's on mine 15X8 and my next step is tires,I'm thinking 235/70/15 front,255/265/70/15 rear.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 03-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Thanks for the replys guys. I surely don't want to create anymore issues with my truck.
The current list is just fine with me now, hehe.

Jerry
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Jerry you shouldn't have any issues with the PA and the drop you're running.

Definitely looks better after you lowered the front end a little more. Nice work!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote