The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Newbit on my first truck build. I've restored other cars this is my first 68 truck

Hey guys and gals. Just found this forum and looks like it might have some information that I am looking for. I bought a 68 SWB factory A\C cab truck, has PS\PB automatic on the column. Pretty nice truck needs rockers and maybe some floor pans but that's about it. I put a new front clip on it all ready with a cowl induction hood. Planning on putting a stroked out SMB 400 to make a nice driver and it will be show quality by the time I'm done years down the road. My question is I want to lower it maybe around 3 inches in the front and 4 in the rear but don't want to kill the ride quality. I want to convert the front drums to disc, any suggestions as to a kit I can buy or use or another kind of truck I get get these components off of it. I will have many questions along the way since this is my first C-10 and would certainly appreciate the advise and help point me the right direction down the long road I am going to be on! Thanks, James in Dallas Texas
Attached Images

68SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Texasbigblock

Re: Newbit on my first truck build. I've restored other cars this is my first 68 tru

welcome fellow texan! Im sure you will find tons of answers as the rest of us have. Someone will chime in soon to help out im sure!

Last edited by Texasbigblock; 05-13-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Texasbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Newbit on my first truck build. I've restored other cars this is my first 68 tru

Welcome HOME 68SWBChevy.....from NC....

Great looking start to a project truck!!!

If you click on the FAQ Thread in my signature....it'll become your very best friend on how-to's and easy and cheap or ingenius ideas on how to work on our trucks!!!....Also, look over in the Build Thread area for great ideas on what others have, will, or already done to their trucks!!!

Welcome aboard and have fun!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

welcome.

my brother lives in The Colony.

Disk brakes: You can get a hole crossmember from a square body and it will bolt up. I think you just need to drill 2 holes. Also could take it from a 71 72.

Yeah, go to the FAQ and you will see alot.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
big_al_71

Welcome From Miami,, good luck with your build plenty of knowledge around here...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Thanks for the responses so far guys it's great to know that I am not alone on this project believe me that brings me much relief. Don't everyone kill me now or become a hater but I also have a Ford....BUT I think you will understand once you see the pictures as to why I built it and love it. It's done now time to move on the some thing better...a Chevy

As far as the guy who wrote about his brother living in The Colony I might want to hook up with him and look at his truck I'm a real visual person if I see something it sure helps me understand what I need to do if that makes sense. I will check out the forum for sure! I truly appreciate the advise and help.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Welcome to the board from Mid-MO!!!

Great looking roadster!

Good luck with the build.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
from the "Corn State". I too started out as a rod builder, now I do both...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Cool rod 68swbchevy

Since you mentioned you are a visual person (me too).....You might want to invest in one of these too...Factory Assembly manual....click on the "Support our Board Vendors" thread in my signature scroll down a little and ask one of our board vendors for one....around $35-$40....got lots of exploded views of different parts for assembly purposes....you might want to pick up a LMC Truck catalog too....prices are steep, quality of parts is mediocre but they have more exploded views in there too....And there you have it....more of my humble opinion!!!....Have fun!
Attached Images

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

Welcome. They also make 6 lug disc brake conversion kits. If it were me, I'd go this route. We have some really good board vendors here. If you have any questions on parts I'd hit up Tim Christian first. A great guy to deal with who will stand behind what he sells you.

Go ahead and become a subscribing member, best 25 bucks you'll spend restoring that truck.

I'd also suggest just spending a day looking through the FAQ section. Although a day may not be enough.

Good luck.

Oh, that 68 front clip is like gold, or maybe silver .. anyway as you pull parts, there is almost always someone on here who will be happy to buy them from you.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADSAM View Post
Welcome.

Oh, that 68 front clip is like gold, or maybe silver .. anyway as you pull parts, there is almost always someone on here who will be happy to buy them from you.
Problem is it is a 67/68 hood & grille with 69-72 fenders...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-13-2009 at 09:28 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
redbaron69

WELCOME from NC! If it makes you feel better you are not alone, new here too and starting a rebuild myself. Good luck on the build looks like a great truck to start with
redbaron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Thanks guys for the advise. Man I am pumped have a group of fellow C10 owners to help me through my dibacle I have a Chilton's manual I have purchased already to assist me with my build and help me answer some of my questions but having the factory assembly manual will probably be in valuable. I'm sure I wll be posting more threads soon and asking many questions and I appreciate the support.

I am aware the the truck had 69 to 72 fenders on it when I bought it and would need to be changed which I have already done. I have two 68 fenders on it and a cowl induction hood...after market of course but it willl hopefully slowly morph into the truck I have in my minds eye. The stuff I don't use I ma going to put on Craigslist and on this site hoping to get rid of it and get it out of my way!

Thanks ya'll!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
heidesign

Guys,

What exactly is the FAQ, and its location?

I will take one of those assembly manuals also. Im still getting use to everything around here.

BIll

Bill
heidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
Dynomutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidesign View Post
Guys,

What exactly is the FAQ, and its location?
Click on Forums at the top of the page, when it opens, scroll down about half way and you will see a FAQ link, click it and read away. The link provided by GCBURDIC is also a good link that is kind of sorted by topic.

68SWBChevy, where in the Colony are you? I'm just down the road in North Carrollton. I'm just starting my truck as well and we may be able to help one another on occasion. I'm not good at much but even an extra hand is helpfull sometimes.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

68SWBChevy:

My truck is not on the road, but close. So, one day we will have to get together.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

nice project......

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
Indyuke

Welcome to the board. I like the roadster. A lot of us here are ford fans as well... we just like cool old american iron.

We love pics. Take some more. It looks pretty straight to start out with not really any rust.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
rambler
MOVE OVER

welcome to the board, I agree we all love pics and build threads.

there is a wealth of information on this board and some great people...

good luck and hope to see you more often on here!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Per the request of some of the guys who have viewed an written my thread here are a few pictures of some of the work I have done. I've had the truck 1 month so I'm making ok progress just for having time to work on it occassionally on the weekends and evenings after work.
Attached Images

Daily Driver 2004 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 6 inch lift

Proud owner of a 1932 Ford Roadster "Zppn By"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...pic57166_1.gif
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Here are a few more. Picture of the light fixture is what it looked like before I media blasted it with glass beads. I have the rocker in place just held on by two screws until the lower pillar replacement piece I ordered comes in and I can replace it and the section of the inner rocker that is rusted. One picture of a small patch I did in the passengers floor that had a big hole from the after market seat that was mounted in the truck when I bought it. I'm going to go back in with a factory bench seat. If you know anyone that has one for sale let me know.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

good looking starting point. I like that blue it'd look really good IMO painted like that again
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #23
70cst

and from Ohio. Looks like you have a great truck to work with. Nice Ford...we forgive you. As many have said...this is the best sight avaliable about 67-72 and . Read the link below and you will see why these trucks are so special.

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the new hood and fenders. I also put in two new inner fender wells. And another of the rocker.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Great article thanks for sharing that with me. I've been a fan of the 67 to 72 since I was a kid. I was born in 71 so you would think that would be my favorite year but I've always been partial to the 68 model for some reason. In high school my first project vehicle I built and drove for 2 years was a 72 2WD K5 blazer. I would give anything had I kept it now knowing what they are worth and mine was pristine. It turned heads every where I went, however it was my Christine too I spent more time under it than I did in it and after the second major accident "got hit twice" once head on and once t-boned I thought it was time to sell it before it caused me to meet the good Lord and a much to young age. Maybe one of these days I will have another now that I am a bit older...just not sure if I'm wise enough yet I will see if I can find some old pictures of it and scan them in and upload it to this site some day.