The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
NC67Chev

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

To 67 C-30 (or anyone else that can advise),

I was planning on posting a question about using original steel wheels after I complete my power disc brake conversion and 2.5/4 drop. It seems like the people on this post likely hold the answer to my question, so I'll just post here. I've found some 15" 6 lug disc wheels that will enable me to use my original hubcaps. However, I've read a couple of posts that seem to say that there is an issue with control arm clearance with 15" wheels after a 2.5" spindle drop. Is this the case? If so, how did you get around it?

Thanks!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Here's mine, just some old 16.5's with BFG 33x12.50 rubber.
They aren't the originals to the burb, but they have been on there for close to 30 years. They are date stamped 1969.
I still have my original 16.5 splits though.
Eventually going to some similar steel wheels, but in a 16" or 17" diameter after I get other things taken care of.
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC67Chev View Post
To 67 C-30 (or anyone else that can advise),

I was planning on posting a question about using original steel wheels after I complete my power disc brake conversion and 2.5/4 drop. It seems like the people on this post likely hold the answer to my question, so I'll just post here. I've found some 15" 6 lug disc wheels that will enable me to use my original hubcaps. However, I've read a couple of posts that seem to say that there is an issue with control arm clearance with 15" wheels after a 2.5" spindle drop. Is this the case? If so, how did you get around it?

Thanks!
To answer your question about 'interference', there is some but it varies w/the back-spacing. Narrower wheels require less trimming of the lip around the BJ edge of the lower a-arm; wider wheels w/more back-space might require more.

Hop over to the suspension forum & post up your wheel size & back-space. See if someone might have that combo to give you a more specific answer.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote