The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
John Pasinski

Door & Window Seals

I just finished R/R of the door & windows on my '72. I installed the push-on Dodge door seals, and ALL new window seals. When I completed the door seals, the only way I can get the doors to latch completely is to SLAM the door! I don't mean forcefully shut it; I mean wham bam slam it! Even with the windows down. I checked the adjustment on the latch assy's, & they seem to be out as far they can go. So; then I swapped out the window seals. The regulators & rollers were fine, so I just replaced the channels & window seals. Now it practically takes 3 men & a boy to roll the window up & down! Has anyone else replaced the seals and ran into this kind of problem?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Beuford

Re: Door & Window Seals

I replaced the window felts and rubber wiper seals and my windows work great. However when I put the new door seals in ( Soft Seal) I too have to shut my doors harder than I like,not really slam them but firmly shut while pushing pretty good. They are getting better with use but they still aren't the way I'd like them to shut.
Bob
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
dan42

Never had that problem before, and I've replaced a few - make sure the rollers area in the channels (all three) and check the base of the window for sharp edges - I had to file down the edges on one window because it was catching on the window channel felt. Also, grease the window channel that the rollers run in. That should be all you need - maybe a little silicone in the window channel felts - but other than that, there's no reason it shouldn't roll up and down with a reasonable amount of resistance.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Those push on door seals will take a while to break in.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I redid the door seals on my truck and it took quite awhile for them to wear in to where you didnt have to slam the door pretty hard to latch.

When I redid the window seals and felts. I lubed the heck out of all the channels, tracks and rollers before installing. I still had a little trouble rolling them up. I cleaned and silicone the glass really well and that made a big difference.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
John Pasinski

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try cleaning the glass really well, & then silicone.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
AirSpeed

I replaced the door seals on my truck recently and have the same problem, I noticed when I open the door after it's been closed awhile the seals take a few seconds to "reinflate" I looked at the new seals on my 69 and they have small holes punched in them every 6 inches or so, the new ones on my 72 have no vent holes so I punched some holes in it to see if it helped, it made a big difference! I keep forgetting to call Classic parts to see if they have the seals with the vents in them, the ones in my 69 came from them and have the holes. Do your seal have vent holes punched in them?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I replaced the door seals on my truck recently and have the same problem, I noticed when I open the door after it's been closed awhile the seals take a few seconds to "reinflate" I looked at the new seals on my 69 and they have small holes punched in them every 6 inches or so, the new ones on my 72 have no vent holes so I punched some holes in it to see if it helped, it made a big difference! I keep forgetting to call Classic parts to see if they have the seals with the vents in them, the ones in my 69 came from them and have the holes. Do your seal have vent holes punched in them?
Interesting, Im gonna go outside and look at mine right now. Ill check out the burb in the garage with originals too.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Rack Man

Rub some die-electric grease onto the seal.....will help a lot while they are getting broke in.....

RM
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Sammy

I had the same problem with replacing the window channels. Remove the inside door panels loosen the rear back glass panel shift it to allow more room between the glass and the channel. You can a slight bit more room between that channel enough to make the window regulator not work so hard. And prevent snapping the regulator or stripping the gear mech.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote