The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Trans Cooler Location Idea...

So I'm about to install my cooler when I realize I don't have enough materials. While I'm sitting there thinking if I can make it work with what I do have, I can't, a thought popped into my head, could I cut a hole in the inner fender, the part that is behind the grill and parallel to the radiator, and mount the cooler over the opening? Seems to me it might be more efficient because it would be getting dedicated air, not getting in the way of the rad and its fan, and wouldn't be exposed to anything it isn't when mounted in front of the rad. What do you guys think?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
The area I'm thinking is to the left of the radiator above where the hoses are poking through.

I hung my grill up there and then measured the space available and the grill is far enough out to clear everything.

So it appears it will work... but what am I not thinking of or not seeing?
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Atomsplitter

Re: Trans Cooler Location Idea...

So your going to cut a bit of tin out of the inner fender to make a cold air intake for your trans cooler, should work great!
I was thinking of doing the same for my throttle body intake but on the drivers side because my intake is quite large and i need to mount the MAF sensor in the pipe work before the filter. I was going to make a box inside the inner fender (in front of the wheel) that I could house my filter that would be open to the back of the grill. I was thinking I could put a black grill in front so you can't see it.
If your cooler is shiny it WILL be seen from the front of the truck but you can also mount it inside of the frame rail, save yourself the time and it'll do the same job.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 08-03-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
So your going to cut a bit of tin out of the inner fender to make a cold air intake for your trans cooler, should work great!
I was thinking of doing the same for my throttle body intake but on the drivers side because my intake is quite large and i need to mount the MAF sensor in the pipe work before the filter. I was going to make a box inside the inner fender (in front of the wheel) that I could house my filter that would be open to the back of the grill. I was thinking I could put a black grill in front so you can't see it.
If your cooler is shiny it WILL be seen from the front of the truck but you can also mount it inside of the frame rail, save yourself the time and it'll do the same job.
That was my concern was it being seen though it isn't shiny it does have a big electric fan on it. Last night I went ahead and built a frame for the cooler to mount in front of the radiator because I got thinking that I didn't want to cut up my inner fenders. But even if I decide to go ahead and cut the fenders I'm not out a whole lot, but this way I'm covered either way I choose.

Funny that you would mention the intakes. I had considered that too but the idea fell by the way side a few years back because of the cutting part! I guess I'm just apprehensive about cutting stuff! My idea was to use the dual snorkel filter housing, I'm running a carb, and run pipe through the inners into the wheel wells and then back through them into the area behind the grill. I also worried about water getting sucked up but that is the problem with any ram air setup and I could run a prefilter like on motorcycles.

Crap.. now you've got me thinking about it again! I might just run the cooler in front of the rad so I could do the dual ram air thing later. I guess I need to go home and check tire clearance!
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Here's a idea, since I have one of those long round fins type cooler, I thought about putting it between the front frame rail just before the bumper bracket.

Tri5