The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
enick72

5 speed in a stock 55 1st series

I have read the entire post of the write up of the T5 trans and differences between the s10 and camaro. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out one of these in a stock 54-55 1st series? I am trying to do a mostly stock resto but want to change a few items to make it more driveable in todays traffic.
Everytime I do a search I get S10 swaps. I would like to keep the 235 and keep a stock look.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
T Hilde

Re: 5 speed in a stock 55 1st series

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny.htm

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny2.htm
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
raycow

Absolutely doable, and easy if you have a 55 1st, because it is already open drive. The T-5 will bolt to your stock bellhousing. You will need to replace the clutch disc and either use a spacer plate or shorten the input shaft and bearing retainer.

If you have a standard 3 speed now you can shorten your present driveshaft and swap the slip yoke. If you have a 4 speed or T-89 you will need to find or make a new shaft.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
enick72

I do have a 3 speed. I got alot from Brads post although a different year and then I read both post that T Hilde posted (thank you) which is more helpful although it sounds like it was more difficult for them, is this because they were both pre 54s with a 216 maybe? I saw where someone trimmed down the input shaft and coller but can't find it, not a difficult task though.
Can I use my stock flywheel with floor starter and just use an S10 clutch kit? also is the hole in the end of the crank a standard size? just wondering about finding a bushing/bearing that fits both. The drive shaft sounds like an easy fix.
I'm going to a swap meet here in GA tomorrow, trying to get most of the necessary info before I go looking for or buying a T5.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
I do have a 3 speed. I got alot from Brads post although a different year and then I read both post that T Hilde posted (thank you) which is more helpful although it sounds like it was more difficult for them, is this because they were both pre 54s with a 216 maybe? I saw where someone trimmed down the input shaft and coller but can't find it, not a difficult task though.
Can I use my stock flywheel with floor starter and just use an S10 clutch kit? also is the hole in the end of the crank a standard size? just wondering about finding a bushing/bearing that fits both.
Well, the 54 and earlier trucks had a torque tube, which means you have to do a rear end swap. On trucks older than 48, the bellhousing is different, and the T-5 won't bolt up. You have to swap the bellhousing, and that's no piece of cake because either the clutch or brake linkage (I forget which) bolts to it.

I shortened the input shaft and bearing retainer on mine and it wasn't difficult at all. Just be careful not to get any grit or chips in the bearing.

Keep your stock flywheel, starter, pressure plate and throwout bearing. All you really need is the S-10 disc. The T-5 pilot is the same diameter as the 3 and 4 speed, so you can use a stock pilot bushing.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-06-2010 at 05:39 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
enick72

Thanks Ray, as always you have been super helpful. I'm going shopping this weekend and hopefully score some parts.