The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
herb101
Used Register

Odd Texas title question

I have a '47 (I think) AD 3600 5-window truck project. My wife bought it from the 'back lot' of a used car dealer and it was sold as junk with a bill of sale. They did not have the title in their name, but there was a bit of paperwork that came with it. The truck was last titled in Mexico (no, not New Mexico - the old one). I had a guy looking to get the title straightened out and he had all of the paperwork. His briefcase (with the paperwork in it) was stolen from his vehicle. Of course, the cab tag is long gone, there are no frame stampings and the engine is as far from original at it gets (302 Ford 302 out of a "2000 Maverick" according to the title paperwork that was lost).

What are my Texas title options on this thing? Can I do a bonded title? Am I SOL on this project? do I have an assembled pile of parts or is this doable?

Thanks,
Herb

Last edited by herb101; 08-07-2010 at 12:40 PM.
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Odd Texas title question

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb101 View Post
I have a '47 (I think) AD 3600 5-window truck project. My wife bought it from the 'back lot' of a used car dealer and it was sold as junk with a bill of sale. They did not have the title in their name, but there was a bit of paperwork that came with it. The truck was last titled in Mexico (no, not New Mexico - the old one). I had a guy looking to get the title straightened out and he had all of the paperwork. His briefcase (with the paperwork in it) was stolen from his vehicle. Of course, the cab tag is long gone, there are no frame stampings and the engine is as far from original at it gets (302 Ford 302 out of a "2000 Maverick" according to the title paperwork that was lost).

What are my Texas title options on this thing? Can I do a bonded title? Am I SOL on this project? do I have an assembled pile of parts or is this doable?

Thanks,
Herb

I would check with the state and ask them. Not real familiar with doing this anymore but when we did bikes we had to have them titled as assembled vehicles. We had to have all the major component reciepts and after it was built we had to have them inspected by a peace officer. Any peace officer can do it but most don't want to bother. We usually used a guy from the robbery division in the HPD in houston. After he inspected it we had to take the paper work to the DPS and have the numbers stamped in the frame etc.
and they have to see the vehicle in person. Even then they act real funny about doing it like they don't trust you. Once they heard the officers name that did the inspection they kind of eased off some. I would check with them first but be prepared to be confused as they sometimes give you the wrong info. and then they will tell you what you needed the next time you talk to them.

http://www.texas.gov/en/do/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited by mbgmike; 08-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Odd Texas title question

You have a problem with it being sold as junk, This disqualifies you from getting a bonded title. http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm

In your case you also need the customs douments for the importation of the truck.

For an assembled truck you need documents that state where you got ALL the parts and what Vin was on the frame. If the inspector gets picky he will look at how the vin tag is attached. If the spot welds are replaced by pop rivets then he may ask for more documents proving its legit. So if you do buy another truck don't bust off the tag. I usualy cut a large section around the tags allowing me to weld them back in and not disturb the spot weld on the tag

So what you have is a pile of parts right now. I think in your case I would by another truck with a good Texas title or ability to get a clear title without a lot of work and use the good parts from the 3600 to fix that one.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote