The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
78cheyenne292

Am i just an idiot?

i just rebuilt my monojet on my 292 and ever since the truck cant go past 100k without sputtering and it would sputter if i made a sharp right turn or accelerated quickly.. i figured it was starving for fuel so i raised my floats since then turning and accelerating arnt an issue but now i can only do 95! could the floats have been to low and i fixed that problem but now im running to rich and not getting enough air at higher speeds. im running the original breather and its rather restrictive. if i lower my metering road will that lean it out a little without bring my starving issue back.. i was considering opening my breather and taking it for a drive and seeing if it makes a difference and if it does what can u do to fix the problem permanently.. let me no what makes sense to you guys cause im running out of ideas iv opened this carb atleast 30 times in the last week and its getting rather frustrating
thanks guys
78cheyenne292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Am i just an idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78cheyenne292 View Post
i . i figured it was starving for fuel so i raised my floats
Raising the float does absloutely nothing to give you more fuel, unless you get it so high that it overflows the bowl......and you really don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 12-06-2010 at 08:36 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
1LowToy

Set your float as the instructions call for. Dont bend anything to raise or lower your meter rod. Your carburator worked fine at one time the way it was so don't change it. Check your fuel filter installation. My fuel filter had like a check in it and it would not allow fuel in to begin with. Check your linkage for full throttle, engine off of course. Mine is an auto trans (Turbo 350). The auto trans kick down cable was adjusted too tight and was not allowing the carburator to open fully. Ignition coil or ignition modules can partially fail and give you the same fuel starved feeling.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
fattyarbuckle

raising the float gives you more availible fuel. If the level is too low it could run out at high speed.
fattyarbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
nbpro
Account Suspended

jets ? http://www.carbkitsource.com/manuals...als/CM081.html

Last edited by nbpro; 12-05-2010 at 12:27 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
78cheyenne292

1lowtoy- the specs that came with the kit gave me specs for the metering rod i lowered it when i rebuilt it so could that be the issue then? should i put it back were it was.

longhair- if your floats are to low you wont get enough available gas in your bowls.. therefor raising your float would give you more fuel..
Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

We are talking about a mono-jet here, not exactly a high perfromance situation...

If the float was adjusted correctly when it was rebuilt, "raising" it won't do a thing.
Once the bowl is full enough to actually cover the jets (assuming the the fuel pump can keep-up) any "more fuel" not needed. The bowl is just a "buffer". It is not a tuning tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
78cheyenne292

i had set it a little low because after i rebuilt it it was over flowing then i figured out it was the clip for the needle but i left my float low just to be sure. i have a feeling my fuel pump isnt keeping up and that may be my issue but it worked fine before but maybe i put the wrong filter in. now i set my meter rod to the specs that came with the kit it was a littler higher before do you think if i put it back were it was maybe that will fix my problem?
it may not be a high performance situation but id like to be able to pass slow drivers without my truck sputtering anyways i appreciate i the tips this is my first truck carb rebuild iv only worked on old 2 stroke kawi carbs on my triple.. a little diffrent
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Your rebuild kit should come with the float adjustment specs. Were you sure to adjust it to that?

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
78cheyenne292

i went 1/16 under. but i went back the the specs after. the only two things that are diffrent then before i rebuilt the carb is my metering rod (which is now to specs and was not before) and the filter.. now that i think about it it only started happening after i ran out of gas.. could i have did something to the fuel pump when it ran out?