The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
jojoman

intake id

as i mentioned earlier i got vortec headson my motor but the motor was in truck when i bought it so i have no idea what it has internally and what im trying to figure out is what intake is this i think is a nockoff but i have no idea how to identify it and carb to go with with the lunati 60103.. camso if ya can help me pleaseeeeName:  Picture 003.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  Picture 006.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Picture 007.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  37.7 KB

Last edited by jojoman; 02-13-2011 at 11:13 PM.
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
jojoman

Re: intake id

anyone
Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
J/D/S

Looks like a team G weiand knock off.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
f.monroe

Looks like an old intake I used to have. It had the words PRO/STOCK cast on it. That is an ultra high RPM intake. Unless the engine is real rowdy and the rear gears are super low you would probably appreciate a Performer or Performer RPM much better on a truck.
Frank
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
BigBlocksRule

^ agreed, your truck will probably like a dual plane better.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
jojoman

so you guys are saying that this intake is a single plane if so what is it good for and what you guys think i got vortec heads or tbi
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
cableguy0

You have a mutt. That gigantic intake has no business on a stock-ish motor in a truck. Those heads are just regular old 86-95 centerbolt heads. Vortec heads dont have the middle 4 intake bolts. They only have 4 bolts on each side and not 6 like yours. That intake is killing your low end performance and hurting you all around. A large single plane intake like that one makes power usually from 3500rpm to about 7500rpm. I doubt your turning anything past 5500rpm. The carb is a 600 holley vac secondaries.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
jojoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
You have a mutt. That gigantic intake has no business on a stock-ish motor in a truck. Those heads are just regular old 86-95 centerbolt heads. Vortec heads dont have the middle 4 intake bolts. They only have 4 bolts on each side and not 6 like yours. That intake is killing your low end performance and hurting you all around. A large single plane intake like that one makes power usually from 3500rpm to about 7500rpm. I doubt your turning anything past 5500rpm. The carb is a 600 holley vac secondaries.
man thanks alot i really have no idea now which way to go i got a motor that nothing matches so i have no idea what to do with it if to try and rebuild it properly or to get another one or what what you guys think
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
cableguy0

Really your not too bad off. If the block matches the heads. Its a factory roller cam capable block. Which side is your dipstick on? That cam is way too big for those heads. If your block is an 86 and newer block its a great foundation for a build. Your pretty much stuck finding a different set of heads especially if your after performance. You need to decide what you want and most importantly how much money you have to spend. Then figure out what you have now and go from there.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
jojoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Really your not too bad off. If the block matches the heads. Its a factory roller cam capable block. Which side is your dipstick on? That cam is way too big for those heads. If your block is an 86 and newer block its a great foundation for a build. Your pretty much stuck finding a different set of heads especially if your after performance. You need to decide what you want and most importantly how much money you have to spend. Then figure out what you have now and go from there.
well i dont know if block matches heads but my dipstick is on passenger side. what is so great about a roller cam does that mean that i can put a bigger cam with no problem?i want to get at least like in the 320 to 350 hp or what you think is possible with this block and spending at leastlike a g or so any pointers
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #11
Rooster's 67

Question number one, what are you wanting to do with motor/truck?
daily driver, weekend cruiser, boulevard bruiser or out right drag racin?
that cam is going to fall generally into the weekend cruiser/boulevard bruiser type of motor build. if you build a motor around that cam you should easily make 320 ponies,with a power range somewhere 1800/2400 to 6200/6500 RPMs depending on heads and intake/carb choices.

next proceed to ID your building blocks.
casting numbers, casting numbers are found on all parts, back of block there is a number probably going to be 7 digits could be 8 take those numbers and then go to http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.php

find the number that you have on their site, now you know what the block was in originally

now for the heads you will have to pull the valve cover to find the casting numbers, then do as above, rinse lather repeat as necessary

on the carb there will be numbers stamped on the choke air horn, numbers/dashes and sometimes a letter. take those numbers and go to http://holley.com/search.asp

now you have determined all your building blocks, oh and i agree about the intake better suited to top end use, dragstrip use would be ideal. Dual plane is much better for street.

Last edited by Rooster's 67; 02-15-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: im an idiot and cant use spell check the first time around
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
jojoman

So do I have to take the motor out to identify it and if I put correct heads on it what would be the best intake to go with the lunati 60103 and carb also one more question what is so Good about a roller cam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Rooster's 67

you can identify the block itself by casting number. as for the internals you would have to tear it down. atleast pull a head to look at top of piston.

once again what are you wanting to do with the truck/motor, daily driver,weekend cruiser, trailer pulling,drag racing or what? this info helps with the ability to get better advice on what kind of components you might need to meet your goals.

the motor casting numbers are on the bell housing drivers side behind head
you have to pull the valve cover to see the head casting numbers.

I would build a motor with 9.5-10.0 static compression, good flowing head like mildy ported vortecs with proper springs will make excellent power. top it off with a good dual plane intake designed for off idle to 5500-6000 RPM and a 750 quadrajet (im partial to them) or road demon 650 vac secondaries, back it up with a 700r4 with a slight shift kit, and a 1800 converter. then i would drive the wheels off it.

roller cam motors have less friction,can handle more valve spring pressure allowing faster valve opening, in general they are more efficient in pure design. efficiency off a particular cam profile depends on the motor design as a whole of all its parts and there relation.

but just my $.02
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
jojoman

well i want the truck as like a weekend cruiser you know some thing i can have fun in but still be able to drive to work every once in a while i am leaning towards vortex heads alot but where best place to get them and as far as carb i want the 750 also the lunati cam you think that the cam i want is good for vortec heads and what intake as far as trans im with you all the way
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Professional products hurricane.

68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.

Last edited by 1BadSS; 02-15-2011 at 11:39 PM.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #16
Rooster's 67

id run the Edelbrock 7501 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold with a 650cfm carb with vacuum secondaries, but as a note I really dislike holleys for most applications. I prefer a well tuned Q-jet,,,, small primaries lead to good round town driveability/throttle response, and huge secondaries that are air/demand metered. that cam with the right parts will be very fun on the street.