The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Scott26

Question Timing light not picking up spark

I know i have a dead cylinder on #5 . I got my timing light to test if it had spark to it and it only lights up about every 5 seconds. all the other cylinders light up normal.if the plug is fowled or carbon bridged will that stop the timing light from lighting up??or is it from the distributor. So if the timing light does not pick up spark or light up does that mean its a distributor problem or from the spark plug not working?.

Last edited by Scott26; 02-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Scott26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Timing light not picking up spark

how old are the tune up parts? A bad cap or wire is the most likely culprit. If you need a cap and rotor you likely need plugs and wires too. Tune up parts should always be replaced as a set. Bad tune up parts will kill a coil or module from overworking it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Scott26

The cap is about 6 months old or so. The wires are new .but the plug keeps on getting carbon and oil build up on it about every two days so I know it's not firing I'm wondering if it's a ignition problem instead of a wore out engine that was causing the miss fire
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
cableguy0

Check the compression on that cylinder. If its oil build up You likely have an engine issue. Nothing can survive a bunch of oil in the cylinder. If you replace the plug does it run ok for a while?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Replace the wire with another cylinder wire. See if it does the same thing. If it does, the problem is in distributor. I would replace the cap. Since the cap is off, have the ignition module tested. Same for the coil. New distributors are fairly priced.