The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
mbgmike

Re: For those with Wood Beds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
Thanks, Phil for the ideas. For far too long, the rotting wood has been covered with a sheet of cut-to-fit 1/2" plywood. Now that I will be actively restoring the truck, I would like to perform a more comprehensive rebuild of the bed.

I need new strips as well as the angle strips too and all new hardware. Truck is not nor has never been in a salty environment but the bolts are being cut off by torch. There is just no other way!

I am thinking of cutting my own wood as I have all the necessary tools, rather than buying a wood kit. The 16 Ga piece is something I have not thought of either so I will look into adapting that idea into the rebuild. The idea I am have is really for those who like to have pretty wood beds for show but still retain some functionality.

My idea...
I have bought some Trex (TM) planks that are the right size. Trex is a great product because it will last for decades (or centuries!), comes in many colors and grain styles. It is ALOT more expensive than hardwoods but also harder than hardwoods and is tremendously more resistant to scuffing, denting and gouging. All this is great but the best part about using Trex is that I don't have to sand, stain and poly for days or even weeks. Just cut, plane, router and install.

I will give it a go and see how it all turns out. My truck will be the 'Guinea Pig' if you will. Once completed, I'll post some pitures. Since I am still in Iraq till October, I won't be able to post pics till then.

Again, thanks for the idea. Any and all input is welcome! God Bless!
God Bless YOU. My nephew spent a few years in Iraq now he is in Afganistan
Never heard of Trex but will look in to it. Be interested in how it turms out
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote