The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
PaRedneckRiders

Bought another vehicle

Well guys, i bought a 1996 chevy cavalier.
Its not the z24 so it just has a 2.2l with a 5spd. I bought it off a buddy of mine for $300 he says its blown up but in all honesty im pretty sure its not.

I know he just put a new clutch in it about a month ago because its one of my other buddies dads shop that put it in.
Came with aftermarket front fenders and also the originals
Halo head lights and the originals too.
Pretty much no rust what so ever but could use some paint since the aftermarket front fenders are a different color.
Ok i talked to my buddies dad (one with auto shop) about it when I was over there earlier and he said that he thinks the timing chain broke. The motor has no spark and he said a broken timing chain would cause that in the case of this motor. Im going to pull the valve cover off tomorrow and see what i find if i roll the motor over when i can see rockers and they dont move, busted timing chain.

That would be cool if thats what it was would save my self some money and could get the motor in the car running instead of having to get another one. Although i know the motor in it has been put threw HELL if i can get it running as is ill just run it until it actually does blow up. Then throw a different motor in it and keep running it

Overall a solid car other than it doesnt run at the moment if it doesnt need a motor and i can get it running as is i would prob have about 4-500 in it if it needs a motor i should have right around 900 in the car if it needs a motor. I found one for 600 locally at an auto salvage yard that has 77k on it, But i think if i call around a little i could find a better deal.

What do yall think?? I didnt think it was to bad considering even if it needs a motor i could put one in it and sell it for 1500-2000 around my area thats what i see them going for and most are auto. Seems like 5spd go for more just depends on who is buying it i guess.

PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote