The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
kikkegek

Grease points on 86 Suburban

hi guys,

today I wanted to do some maintenaance on the Burb.

I was over at a friend and changed oil filter and engine oil.

Need to change my air filter

wont need to change fuel filter, because I run LPG.

already changed spark plugs...

and I also wanted to do all the grease fittings under the car...man! there are a lot of these babys and hard to get to when not lifted by a bridge or stands.

please help me on some questions, because I read differrent stuff in Chilton and Haynes and on the internet...

so what do I need to grease using which grease?

I read in some places that not all nipples take the same grease?

some help here would be great...

And I have automatic locking front hubs...do I still need to grease the front wheel bearings? and what about the rear wheel bearings?
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

Re: Grease points on 86 Suburban

for grease joints I use regular multi purpose grease found about every that sells auto and farm equipment and the grease gun I use is compact and has a rubber helps me get to all the joints with ease, theres grease joints in your steering components and ball joints and they may also be in your axle and drive shaft u joints they use the same grease, and if you go in alot of water I would recommend marine grade grease, the rear wheel bearing use gear oil for lubrication
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbig10 View Post
for grease joints I use regular multi purpose grease found about every that sells auto and farm equipment and the grease gun I use is compact and has a rubber helps me get to all the joints with ease, theres grease joints in your steering components and ball joints and they may also be in your axle and drive shaft u joints they use the same grease, and if you go in a lot of water I would recommend marine grade grease, the rear wheel bearing use gear oil for lubrication
he thanks man!

the reason I got confused is that Chuck tells otherwise on his website:
he says "NEVER use chassis lube on u-joints"
http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/lubepoints.html

another questions:

I have automatic locking hubs in the front. Do I need to grease the wheel-bearings in the front and back? the Haynes manual does not mention a maintenance interval for these bearings...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
blakeduren

Yes, you have to take apart the front hubs/bearings to grease them. Get rid of the automatic hubs while you are at it. Manual hubs are much more dependable and simpler.
blakeduren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeduren View Post
Yes, you have to take apart the front hubs/bearings to grease them. Get rid of the automatic hubs while you are at it. Manual hubs are much more dependable and simpler.
how often would you have to grease these bearings?

and we never drive in 4x4 mode. only once or twice in winter when reaods get too bad for 2wd...so for us the automatic are easy...

do I also have to take apart the rear bearings? and grease them?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
blakeduren

The old books say about every 30,000 miles, but experience says that people only do it every 50-60!

The rear one is captured by the rear seal, so buy new rear seals because you will hurt the old ones taking them out to get the rear bearing out. Once the front and rear bearings are out, pack them as normal.

Do you have the special spindle socket to get the crazy shaped nuts/washers off the spindle? The hub will not come off until you get those out.

The auto hubs are just held in with snap rings etc...
blakeduren is offline   Reply With Quote