The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
LT1 Burb

Restoration thread

Is there any way to get a restoration or thread going so that people can post pics and use it for a reference for doing factory correct resto's. It would be nice to see up close pics of what color the scews are for the interior door panels for instance. Somewhere where a question can be asked an a pic posted. There really isn't one specific thread where my 400 questions can be answered, and I am sure other guys are in the same boat, thanks.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Restoration thread

I had something started in the FAQ section but I don't think it was properly labeled. I'd be all for that. After all, we all have different tastes on this site. Would also like to see Literature, Manuals, Books, Brochures, Flyers, Advertisements, Factory Photo's, Posters, Fold Outs, Mailers, Promo's included, for reference purposes and comparisons. I learn something new everyday on this site, especially when pictures are included. Sometimes it's hard to explain compared to seeing a picture of the subject matter. Great Idea!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
oem4me

The factory correct detail thread is a great idea. Submissions should be limited to known correct details, ideally from original untouched examples. This would be a valuable resource for sure. I for one would be more than happy to supply any photos requested of my original trucks.
Now, as for the door panel screws: It's actually kind of hard to tell, but they appear to be plated, not painted. Not chrome, not cad, maybe shiny zinc or even nickel?
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 10-09-2011 at 05:27 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
sigshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
The factory correct detail thread is a great idea. Submissions should be limited to known correct details, ideally from original untouched examples. This would be a valuable resource for sure. I for one would be more than happy to supply any photos requested of my original trucks.
Now, as for the door panel screws: It's actually kind of hard to tell, but they appear to be plated, not painted. Not chrome, not cad, maybe shiny zinc or even nickle?
OEM
Ok, I want to pic your brain.. I am building a truck and want to go back as original as I can. Do you have pics of your truck on photobucket or anything? I am interested in what color the fender bolts under hood where... just too many to ask . Pics would be great I may see something I would never have thought about
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigshooter View Post
OEM
Ok, I want to pic your brain.. I am building a truck and want to go back as original as I can. Do you have pics of your truck on photobucket or anything? I am interested in what color the fender bolts under hood where... just too many to ask . Pics would be great I may see something I would never have thought about
I need to update my photobucket page with more pics, including the Suburban and engine compartment shots. Here it is anyway:
http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ2QQtppZZ16
The fender bolts along the top are cad plated and clean.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
LT1 Burb

I think that is the lowest mileage truck on here, it would be nice to see pics of everything , if we could get it pinned and anyone that asks a question , the pic could be posted for all to see and use.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I think that is the lowest mileage truck on here, it would be nice to see pics of everything , if we could get it pinned and anyone that asks a question , the pic could be posted for all to see and use.
I think you're probably right. I have not seen another here on this forum with comparable low mileage. That's not to say they are not out there, in fact, I am aware of several ultra low milers that belong to non-members. That includes a couple under a thousand original miles! ..Yep, true story.

These trucks are invaluable for reference as per how the factory did it. Although, as I said once in an old post, the current quality of most higher end restoration work, especially regarding finishes, far exceeds what Chevy was doing at the plant back then. In some cases, it's hard to believe production line work got so sloppy. Not what some of you want to hear, I know.

Anyway, as far as my trucks go, I seriously need to take a bunch more pictures of both and make them available for y'all. Perhaps we can eliminate some of the guess work involved in a pure restoration. Just gimmie a little time.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
A.T. RockDriller

Outstanding idea ...

Lets let's try to tag these pic's with year ....and maybe even assembly plant for some things....as you guys know, there were differences unique to location on some things.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

A Restoration sticky would be a great thing for reference.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
These trucks are invaluable for reference as per how the factory did it. Although, as I said once in an old post, the current quality of most higher end restoration work, especially regarding finishes, far exceeds what Chevy was doing at the plant back then. In some cases, it's hard to believe production line work got so sloppy. Not what some of you want to hear, I know.
Owning a numbers matching `69 camaro we see the same in the finishes....many camaro`s left the factorys in pretty bad shape as far as finishes......but some of the intriguing questions are if you guys that are restoring keep note of any crayon markings on firewalls, rear axles and so on...even pics of it would be better.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Surfdaddy

I would realy like to see this type of thread. I'm resoring my 61 GMC to as stock as possable and would like to see and share what others have done. I'm running across all sorts of things that would be a intersting topic.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: Restoration thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Is there any way to get a restoration or thread going so that people can post pics and use it for a reference for doing factory correct resto's. It would be nice to see up close pics of what color the scews are for the interior door panels for instance. Somewhere where a question can be asked an a pic posted. There really isn't one specific thread where my 400 questions can be answered, and I am sure other guys are in the same boat, thanks.

The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4949459
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
dallas71

not to jack a thread but how do you get very rusted screws off of the door panels? What did y'alll do for that?
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote