The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Looks like a great project Mike. Looking forward to watching this built take place. I get out to the Elkhart area several times a year and these old trucks are pretty rare out in the salt belt. The nice thing about the Elkhart area is the access to a lot of new take off parts that the RV and conversion companies prune off perfectly good vehicles. I stopped by a few of those take off peddlers over the years and found a bunch of nice stuff (bucket seats, steering wheels, wheels, etc). Just too costly to ship most of it to the west.

I’d love to come see your projects some time. I work for a motorized stripped chassis suppler to the RV and stepvan industry and get to your area way too many times a year. Usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn off 19 at the toll road. It seems the people at Texas Roadhouse across the bridge from the hotel in your town recognize me more than my own neighbors here at home do. I’m well connected with the crew at Naquin’s if you need a contact for GM parts.

I had to laugh when I read the part about the steering column as I just picked up an ’89 Suburban that needed the same work. All 4 bolts in the tilt mechanism were backed out and actually tore up the upper bowl. Such a common issue on those old Saginaw steering columns.

The Silver Dollar turned out great! Can’t wait to see what you do with the crew cab. Momma will be proud to cruise that around.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Looks like a great project Mike. Looking forward to watching this built take place. I get out to the Elkhart area several times a year and these old trucks are pretty rare out in the salt belt. The nice thing about the Elkhart area is the access to a lot of new take off parts that the RV and conversion companies prune off perfectly good vehicles. I stopped by a few of those take off peddlers over the years and found a bunch of nice stuff (bucket seats, steering wheels, wheels, etc). Just too costly to ship most of it to the west.

I’d love to come see your projects some time. I work for a motorized stripped chassis suppler to the RV and stepvan industry and get to your area way too many times a year. Usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn off 19 at the toll road. It seems the people at Texas Roadhouse across the bridge from the hotel in your town recognize me more than my own neighbors here at home do. I’m well connected with the crew at Naquin’s if you need a contact for GM parts.

I had to laugh when I read the part about the steering column as I just picked up an ’89 Suburban that needed the same work. All 4 bolts in the tilt mechanism were backed out and actually tore up the upper bowl. Such a common issue on those old Saginaw steering columns.

The Silver Dollar turned out great! Can’t wait to see what you do with the crew cab. Momma will be proud to cruise that around.
It does sounds like you've been here before. I also work for a RV supplier, in fact Im the delivery driver, so I get to go into a lot of manufactures and see a lot of different stuff being built. even get a lot of new ideas. let me know the next time your coming to town and maybe we can get together.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
mrhino
Account Suspended

So deb sends me a link to a craigslist add for a 71 shortbed that looks pretty decent and says we should go look at it. Does she not know Im a little busy! she also know I have a weakness for those old 67-72's like some people and lost dogs I feel the need to rescue and save everyone I come across. So i called the guy and im going to take a look today. If I get this thing Im gonna have to abandon my little 86 c/10 shortbed project. Ill let you guys know how it comes out.

oh and by the way yousesteers cutting the floor is certainly easier said than done. I stared at it last night for about three hours tiring to figure the best way, how much and where to cut it. so it would fold right back down on itself. Im sure there is a mathematical equation for this, but I dont think I'm smart enough to figure it out. so im just going to cut it by eye and hope for the best.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote