The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
leh72super1500
GMC with Blue Plaid

Re: GMC Trim Levels Q?

This is an interesting thread and has caused me to dig deeper into what what the previous owners have added to my Super Custom.

This document may be of some help as it also relates to other posts in this discussion. It is from GM Canada's Vintage Vehicle Services and it shows a matrix of the various option availability for 1972 GMC pickups across the trim levels Z62, Z84 and YE9.

I have determined that according to this document the chrome side marker light trim and the bright foot pedal trim did not come from the factory. So a PO must have installed it right?

My other question in an earlier post was the GMC tailgate band described as "tailgate lower trim with wood grain insert and bright lettering". I discovered elsewhere in this document that with the BX2 Option which described as "Bright metal lower molding Black painted insert. Includes Bright upper and lower mouldings on tailgate. Bright tail and backup lamp bezels and Bright fuel tank cap..." My Truck as BX2 listed on the SPID as well B85 (upper moldings). So a PO must have just added the wood grain inserts although this really looks original to the truck as it has aged and needs replacing.

Thanks and let's keep this thread alive.
Attached Images

Previous:
2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2.9L I4
1988 Chevrolet Suburban Silverado 10 350 < 60K Orig MI
1984 GMC S-15 2.8L V6
1976 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 Camper Special 350
1980 GMC High Sierra 3500 Dually 350 4spd
1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super 10 Shorty 454 (Was my Dads, I wish I still had it)
1969 GMC 910 250 I6 4spd
leh72super1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: GMC Trim Levels Q?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Not correct. The super custom may have made one or more required, but i know you could get that stuff as options on the custom (and probably the base model too). Super custom got you a buddy buckets, carpet, and a fancier horn button, thats it per my dealer brochure. I have two customs with the panoramic window option, trim, door liners and have seen others with that fender badge.

Nice truck btw!
Yes,the word unique may not be the right word for some of the things that were included when you got a Super Custom. Basically,as you went up in trim level you got features "in addition to" ones included in the lower levels. Like Customs got bright window trim,dash knobs,side trim,and vinyl door panels,which were included in the Super Customs. Unique things were the fender badge and horn button. I'm not sure about the seat. It's unique that only Super Customs came with buckets,but I'm out sure (without looking at some info) if they were an option in the Customs. The Panoramic window was an option in all the trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leh72super1500 View Post
This is an interesting thread and has caused me to dig deeper into what what the previous owners have added to my Super Custom.

This document may be of some help as it also relates to other posts in this discussion. It is from GM Canada's Vintage Vehicle Services and it shows a matrix of the various option availability for 1972 GMC pickups across the trim levels Z62, Z84 and YE9.

I have determined that according to this document the chrome side marker light trim and the bright foot pedal trim did not come from the factory. So a PO must have installed it right?

My other question in an earlier post was the GMC tailgate band described as "tailgate lower trim with wood grain insert and bright lettering". I discovered elsewhere in this document that with the BX2 Option which described as "Bright metal lower molding Black painted insert. Includes Bright upper and lower mouldings on tailgate. Bright tail and backup lamp bezels and Bright fuel tank cap..." My Truck as BX2 listed on the SPID as well B85 (upper moldings). So a PO must have just added the wood grain inserts although this really looks original to the truck as it has aged and needs replacing.

Thanks and let's keep this thread alive.
I thought a '72 Super Custom would come with fancy peddles. The side markers would be the plain type. The lower mouldings should be black accent. But,I dunno,could be an exception on your truck.

They make it confusing in that data by referring to the tailgate band as "lower" moulding. The band only came with woodgrain side mouldings which was only the Sierras and Sierra Grandes in '72. Super Customs got the lower mouding that goes across the bottom of the tailgate.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Thumbs up Re: GMC Trim Levels Q?

Great Thread Thank You Tim. I'm in on this one.!!

Have a few ?'s my self or are they GMC production mysteries?

From what I gather some of this stuff is not very consistent?
any thing to do with different plants, workers, or parts out of stock?

Here are my observations on my 72. I will follow up with my SPID if I can be of help to anyone.

2nd owner well documented build sheet available as well.
Bulit in Fremont Ca.

Fender Badges c2500/Sierra
Dash Bezel Green on Chrome
Glove Box Dark Olive to Match Dash and No Badge (Truck is Medium Olive)
Rear Fender Badge says "Sierra" only but SPID indicates Sierra Grande?
Camper but no camper badging?
SPID also indicates CST or Custom (Will have to verify which one)?
Brakes and Gas Pedal have Original Chrome borders.
Bench Seat Scrolled Vinyl Med Olive
Lower Side Molding (Wood Grain)
Tailgate Full Trim with Wood Grain and Shiny GMC
Step Bumper (Part of the camper option?)
Auxilary Tank(ON SPID) Installed Travel Tank Drivers Side
Sold at Long Beach California (Anderson GMC I Believe)

Nothing to complain about except many questions and no tilt.

Again one of the best threads I've read!!! Keep it up!!
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote