The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
IRN BRU

Bed liner or Rubberized Undercoating on the cab floor?

I am going to paint my cab floor. I currently don't have a carpet or rubber mat on the floor and I like it that way and its probably the reason why there is almost zero rust on the floor and corners. But I am planning to tidy it up and hopefully soundproof it a bit by rolling on some bed liner or rubberized undercoating but I don't know which to do. Spraying is out of the question as i don't have the equipment and my budget is only around $100.

Should I undercoat the cab floor for sound deadening then use bed liner on top of it for wear strength? Or would the undercoat hold up on its own? Or would the bed liner sound deaden enough by itself?

Reservations I have are:-

Rubberized Undercoating is maybe not hard enough and stays tacky without fully drying/curing.

Bed liner is too rough and will hold a dirty footprint mark for eternity. So I would need to find a brand that has a smoother finish. Maybe a gritless type?!?

Has anyone had experience with this and maybe have any tips or suggestions. I really have to get this right first time as cleaning up a mistake with either of these options would be as "welcome
as a fart in a spacesuit"
IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
MikeyMan

Re: Bed liner or Rubberized Undercoating on the cab floor?

I had to patch up major holes in the floor of my Daily Driver project. Took the wire brush to the remaining metal, then spray painted, then riveted down some sheet metal patch panels. I wanted to protect the "new" floor, so I used the spray can bed liner on my whole floor. It looked great for a day! Like you say, it will show dirty footprints. I'm still working inside the cab and find that the spray liner scratches and chips fairly easily.
This is probably due to the fact that did very little prep.
I'm planning on covering it with a hunk of carpet anyway, so no big deal.

Rubberized Undercoating would be good for the underside, but I would NOT do the cab floor with it. Soft and stinky.

You might want to look into an epoxy paint, like they use on garage floors. If that can hold up to garage traffic I'm sure it could work on a truck floor. The key will be to properly clean and prep the floor and follow the manufacturers instructions. You could add the sand for texture as I bet it would be very slippery when wet. Maybe add the sparkles too, Ha!

You're correct about getting it right the first time, you definitely don't want to have to clean up any mistakes. Otherwise, you'll have to hide your shame with carpet or a mat.
Good Luck!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
IRN BRU

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I did use cheap spray bed liner before, dupli color I think. Like you said it chips and marks very easily. I did like the look of it though and that is why I want to stay with the ease of a painted floor, but sound proofing would be nice!
I have been researching this further and found various products like durabak and so on, I seem to have came full circle and I think I am going to go with Herculiner.

The reasons being.
1. Price, I am limited so its the #1 criteria
2. Fairly good reviews on quality
3. Good reviews on ease of application
4. Also what I had to consider was availability for future touch ups

I will try to remember to post some pics of before/after shots. It will be in the next few weeks as its gonna burn up a whole weekend.

Last edited by IRN BRU; 02-02-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
xludan

I used bedliner (the brand was raptor liner) on the bottom side of my cab and it definitely helped to get rid of the "tin can" sound on the floor. I plan on putting sound deadening on the interior floor which should really make a big difference.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
BlackhillsHD

I wouldnt put undercoat on the inside. That stuff never really dries. A good hot day, or even engine heat, the stuff will go slimy. Then you get to wash it out of the carpet in your house, it will track everywhere.

General Motors Master Certified wrench swinger
ASE certified Master auto tech
Instructor of Automotive Technology
BlackhillsHD is offline   Reply With Quote