The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
Paulgs71

WTB: At Steering column

With tilt and cruise for 84 C30 dually.
I'm near Portland, OR..but I am making a trip to Michigan so I can pick up on the way. I-90.
Have access to decent salt free truckbeds 1979-92 for possible trade.
Thanks Paul
Paulgs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

ugh, if only you were closer... I would happily get your a tilt column for your truck (the cruise arm can be exchanged from your current column to the new one) I would also rebuild it greacing everything up so it is nice and smooth, just for that truck bed...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:38 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Sigh... I saw a really nice tilt column with the cruise stuff at the junkyard, wouldn't want to make a stop in Alberta would you? lol I really want a good truck box (mines rotted pretty badly, and will take a LOT to fix...)
Old 09-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #4
Paulgs71

steering column

Russell,
My apologies. I'm not so sure I have cruise. For some reason I assumed it did but I don't see evidence of it. I looked on the fender tag and it said it has the convience pkg. It is the silverado model but I guess I was wrong.
I just picked up this 84 Crew Cab dually. It needs a little work like the steering column. Right now I pull a small steel rod to start it.
Anyway it won't stay that way very long.
I guess were both too far away to make this work.
Paul
Old 09-18-2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

If you need any parts for your column, I have lots lying around I would be willing to send you...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
Paulgs71

column parts

Russell,
My 80 year old uncle has rebuilt one. He said its like repairing watches and he's been a mechanic his whole life. Our relatives brag about his 200 MPH ice planes, one even has a jet engine (starter). So I think I'll take his advice and try to find a replacement first.
Paul
Old 09-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

To tell you the truth, I think he was exaggerating a bit... I'm a 16 year old guy who has pretty much done nothing but change oil before I bought my truck, the steering column was the very first thing I did on my truck, and it only took me about three to four hours to completely rebuild, and install a whole column into my truck.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #8
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

if i cant fix it, it aint broke. i've been inside almost every piece of a 73-87 truck imaginiable, except the column. i'll be tearing into the column on my 91 in a few minutes. i'll let you know how it goes.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

teardown went pretty good. look in the 88-98 forum, there's a post about this very subject, started by me. i tturns out that the 4 bolts that hold the tilt mech to the column itself worked completely out, not just loose. well, back to work for the reassembly...
Old 09-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

going back together went jsut as smooth as reassembly, except for the fact that the spring that holds the ignition rack fell out, and i didnt notice it on the floor until after i had everything back together, so i had to tear it all back down to reinstall the spring. not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #11
Paulgs71

My column is missing parts not to many parts. No ignition. I pull a small flat bar to start it. I think I may have found a $100 one though.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Paul, I would very highly recommend that you try rebuilding it yourself before you waste 100 dollars on a new one. If it doesn't work out, then grab that other column. If you rebuild your own, then you know that all the parts are the proper ones.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #13
Paulgs71

rebuild

Russell,
Any idea on prices for parts USA $$. May cost more than fixxing mine. It can't get any worse.

No ignition.
Missing lower cover
Ignition bar/lever (the bar that the ignition moves to start) is bent to hell.
AND the BIG one. I don't know if this is original.
I'm told the Silverado has
Cruise. My column doesn't.

I agree with you though.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:13 PM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

I took my column, and a column that I found at the junkard for 20 dollars and put the best parts from both together to build a very very solid steering column.

I would suggest you run to your nearest junkard and find a nice solid looking column with a straight transmission arm, strip both columns down (you'll probally need to change out the lower shaft so it will fit onto your steering arm anyways) then rebuild as I did, putting the best parts from the two into the one column. If you're worried about the harness not working, simply unplug the old one from under the dash, and plug the new one in, then try all your equipment. Chances are it will work... Overall I spent about 3 hours and about 24 dollars (put some lube and stuff in there too, makes up for the 4 bucks) to build myself a mint column. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the shift indicator doesn't work quite right with it, but that is becuase the chassis of the new column which I ended up using becuase my old one was broken isn't a stock column. It shows me drive and reverse accurately, but not neutral, or L1 / L2. If you find a stock column, this won't be a problem for you.

If you have any questions, I can help you rebuild your column, I can look at my old one for any references we may need.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:52 PM   #15
Paulgs71

can't do

Russell,
These columns don't make it to the yards for us here.
Unlike most everwhere else these trucks are very plentiful here, therefore the prices are high. $250 for a tilt column.
There are absolutely no columns available around here for much less..in any yard. Even the bad ones are gone.
They are as hard to find as sheetmetal is in the salt belt areas.
They shelf these columns because they sell.

I did come across a 1986 Silverado dent in the hood and fender.
AC 305, 350th with tilt, dual tank, NO RUST. $850.
I could probably part this out and get my tilt column. Of course its too nice to do that.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:23 AM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

If it is gonna cost 250 bucks for a tilt... Maybe it would be worth your money to let me find, rebuild and ship the column to you... Would probally be less, lol
Old 09-22-2003, 01:03 AM   #17
Paulgs71

Russell

That is an option. I'll let you know. I have more checking to do regarding the possible cruise option. The column seems cobbled so it may be a transplant.

Any idea on complications on shipping to Canada and back to the USA???

Also how far did you go when you tightened up your column? Just curious? see link. Doesn't seem to complicated.. Actually the tilt isn't loose on mine. I am hitting the dealer soon. I guess they might have replacement door straps too.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
Old 09-22-2003, 01:11 AM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

Seems very similar to my truck's era of column... I could probally rebuild it (only noticeable difference is the way the key works and the fact that the headlight and wiper controls are on the wiper arm rather than in the dash)

Other than border fees and shipping fees, it probally wouldn't be too terrible... I had a computer shipped up that weighed about the same amount as a column does, it cost 130 for border fees (inspections and such)...
Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 AM   #19
Paulgs71

border fees

Border fees both directions could be expensive.
I gotta go to bed.

I'm supposed to lok at a 86 GMC this guy is parting out ....the whole thing. He said it is a $2,500 truck an employee abandoned at his house. (he left the state).

I may get a few thing if its that nice.