The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #26
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by sameyrasmea72

Some one should start a poll: Will Phil Swap or will he not.....will
I chenged a 72 4x4 Suburban and it didnt do anything to the value when I sold it. The only question was "why is it that the vin says GMC and the Burb looks like a Chevy"?
I replied that I wanted a CLONE to my 72 Cheyenne 4x4.
Sold it on the first day. Also sold the GMC fenders to someone that was in need of some 68 Chevy fenders.
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #27
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillip Johnson

I chenged a 72 4x4 Suburban and it didnt do anything to the value when I sold it. The only question was "why is it that the vin says GMC and the Burb looks like a Chevy"?
I replied that I wanted a CLONE to my 72 Cheyenne 4x4.
I agree, These trucks are old enough that I would think the majority of them have had some sort of sheet metal replaced.And if for some reason they didn.t believe the "clone" explanation, surely they can tell the frame is in excellent shape and not wrecked.

What ever it was that i said earlier, I wasn't talking about resale actually. I meant for me personally I would not want to have to a title Jimmy and be driving a "blazer"

or a Title blazer and be driving a "jimmy" Switch the titles and I would be fine with it. I would just bug me for some reason. Stupid way of thinking ,I know, but jmo.

Last edited by sameyrasmea72; 09-22-2003 at 05:22 PM.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #28
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Then the question is...changing the title. not possible. Frame and vin plate rivits. Thsi is going to be "planned" to be a keeper, unless I see it tomorrow and it was not the way it was represented. I only have 3 pictures and the word of the husband of the girl whos uncle ownes it.. Sounds like a soap opera huh? Well, My last NEW SUV was a GMC Yukon. The grill on it was nicer than the Chevy. The older GMC's {in my opinion} are butt ugly. No offence to be ment towards any die hard GMC person but, Ive always liked the egg crate grill on the 71 72 Chevy. Since Im building this ride to be a boat hauler and plan to keep it for quite some time, I thing that it will most likely end up a CHEVY. Thanks for the opinions and ideas. Its almost like "should I cut the doors and dash" syndrom. Its a 30+ year old truck and Im going to build it for one purpose only and that is dragging myboat and family to the lake. My first 72 Cheyenne, I kept for almost 30 years. Then the $10k offer made me week in the knees and I sold it. Dumb Dumb move. I miss that truck. Great memories in that truck! With a bit of luck, this Jimmy will be sport'n a tilt and a tack. Ill find out in about 24 hours. If so, its a real keeper! I can look out the window and see the cherry 72 clip that will take under 3 hours to transplant and then Im left to deal with the horn button. I can deal with a GMC vin. When was the last time anyone looked at your vin? Rarely have I ever checked one when I buy a truck. I guess we will all know when I return from Calif on Friday.. Thanks again for all the input and I in no way mean to offend any GMC diehards! A GM truck is still a GM truck. 2 or 4 headlights, it will still get 10 to 14 mpg and ride the same. I just think Ill be happier with the bowtie in the grill!

Last edited by Phillip Johnson; 09-23-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #29
smokekiki
Mike

Do whatever will make you happy.If you want to sellit later,someone will buy it,gmc or chevy!I am looking at a suburban that was 2wd,and has had a 4x4 frame put under it.It was changed from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.In Pa a 3/4 ton is more to licence.The title still says 1/2ton sw.I am sure if I want to sell it,I could with no problem.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #30
Blue_71
Bloo

i happen to have one of those gmc grills :P i used to like it but after i put it on my truck, it didnt look so hot to me anymore. granted soem trucks look better GMC, i just prefer a 71/2 chevy over anything..
now if any of you would be willing to trade a good 71/2 chevy grill to a 68 gmc one......
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #31
1969 GMC

How can you say no to this face???
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 AM   #32
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Sorry but...... in my opinion, its ugly including the bug deflector. No harm intended
Old 09-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #33
krue
Designated A-hole!

Some people just have no taste!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:14 AM   #34
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

We all have great taste in old GM trucks! I just happen to like the bowtie.. As for the new ones, Ill take an H2 anyday. Just may have one if I get my way. The wife got the home of her derams now so its my turn. I say Hummer! I passed on a 50th aniv Vette. I think the Hummer will be a good comp...
Old 09-23-2003, 11:33 PM   #35
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I was thinking about this thread today, and realized my responce is more biased than I had thought.
I think everyone knows I prefer the look of the GMC grill....I even went to the trouble of slapping a 69 GMC nose on my one ton CHEVY longhorn.
Thought I'd mention that since I guess I am one of the bastard grill swappers.

But at least I was doing it so I could have the good looking front end...and not the wrong way areound.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:14 AM   #36
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

The blazer is more cherry than thought. It will really be great with a 2 inch lift, 6x9 speakers in the doors, cd cut in the dash and split bench seat in the front out of a caddy. We must not forget the perfect 72 Grill and Bumper to match the new fenders. I think Im gonna paint it Ochre... I may be selling the Jimmy fenders to one of you that need 67-68 fenders. Not sure yet. The top is in perfect cond. That will be nice as it will be less likely to crack when I cut a hole for a sunroof and an air vent in back!

Pictures will be coming soon!

Last edited by Phillip Johnson; 09-24-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:27 AM   #37
sameyrasmea72

Did you luck out on the tilt and tach.....fingers crossed!!!
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:43 AM   #38
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Just came back from Chico and left the Jimmy there for another 6 weeks. It will need more attention than was led on to be. I put a shell on my rusty 71 and filled it to the top with parts and just got home. 500 miles in a 71 Chevy. My butt hurts, Im headed to the spa.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:13 AM   #39
pound41

I am a chevy man all the way. When i got my 1st blazer 25 years ago I had a choice I took the blazer because of the front but now the more you look at the GMC front it will grow on you keep it
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote