The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Thanks again for posting your measurements. When you said the flat part of the firewall was 16 7/8 from the centerline of the shock tower bolts, I am assuming the "shock tower bolt" is the actual shock end - correct?

In an earlier post, you said your cab was 4.25" above the frame (in the back). When you took the 9 7/8ths measurement on the rocker, was the cab at the 4.25" above the frame height? My thought is to try and get the frame -to-cab distance reduced so that the "static height" of the truck rockers will be in the 8 inch range. Based on your measurements, I think I could get there by using the Envoy floorpan/firewall. (floorpan is less than 2 inches above the Envoy frame on the wifey's Envoy).

My son Eric and I are going to hit it hard on the GTO tomorrow through Monday (I'm taking a vacation day) in an attempt to get the GTO (almost) fully roadworthy. I will post picture of the current status on Monday or Tuesday night. We have been driving it in the evenings on the city streets and it is a blast! Our family is headed to Orange Beach for a few days after the first of August, so we will be in your neck of the woods! Good luck.

Ricky
Yes, shock tower "bolt". The one in middle. We are in Orange Beach now. I will take some dimensions with photographs next time in the garage so there is no question. Get that GTO done so you can get to the good project! dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Yes, shock tower "bolt". The one in middle. We are in Orange Beach now. I will take some dimensions with photographs next time in the garage so there is no question. Get that GTO done so you can get to the good project! dug
Here is the latest.
- The first photo shows the shock tower bolt location at 16-3/4" from firewall. When I welded the rear cab mounts and tightened the bolts, it pushed the cab forward 1/8" which ultimately helped with my rear wheel location slightly. Remember, stock wheelbase of the Envoy is a hair short for the Fleetside.
- The second photo shows the 4" tall wooden spacer for the front of the cab. Note that the leading edge of the wooden spacer is approximately 3/16" behind the Envoy body mount bracket directly below the firewall that I cut off. Look for the fresh metal.
- The third photo shows the welded rear cab mount. The top of the body mount pad/bottom of the cab rail is 3-11/16" above the frame rail.
- The lower you go with the cab, the closer you get to the bottom of the cab interfering with the top of the fuel tank sending unit. The 4th picture is of the floor piece I cut out many weeks ago when I first started placing the cab thinking the floor was in the way. Thought it was a mistake. Turns out, it is really close. The 5th picture is of the clearance to the top of the sending unit and the cab floor. I have about 1/4" to go before it hits. If you lower your cab any more than this, you will have to make provisions to clear. If you do clear it, you have approximately 1.25" to go before the structural lateral cab metal hits the top of the fuel tank. There does not appear to be any other obstacles. You said you were going to use the firewall. If you have already done so, you may consider using the floor as well. By the way, I had forgotten about this potential interference when I lowered the cab over my previous studies. Glad you asked for the dimensions. Dug
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
rawkinbones13

Dug, I was checking out your build and I noticed that you live in Mobile, nice to see another Mobilian on this board. I have a 58 Apache too that's a daily driver. I'd love to come check out your project sometime.
rawkinbones13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkinbones13 View Post
Dug, I was checking out your build and I noticed that you live in Mobile, nice to see another Mobilian on this board. I have a 58 Apache too that's a daily driver. I'd love to come check out your project sometime.
Rawkinbones13....would love to see your truck. Check your private messages. dug
Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
rustymarco

i start my project like a month ago (56 stepside on 2007 trailblazer rolling chassis) without know if others have done the same project, after i start i search in the web and i found a bunch of similar project and i like to see how every body have different ways to figure it out put all together, the only problem that i have for now is the front wheel clearance when the wheels are full turned, i want the truck the most low possible but there is my limit the front wheels. and is not easy to find rims whit less offset than the originals so i think the only way is put very low tires on 17" rims.
for the floor i do this way because i use 4x4 trans
Attached Images

Last edited by rustymarco; 12-18-2014 at 05:32 PM.
rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymarco View Post
i start my project like a month ago (56 stepside on 2007 trailblazer rolling chassis) without know if others have done the same project, after i start i search in the web and i found a bunch of similar project and i like to see how every body have different ways to figure it out put all together, the only problem that i have for now is the front wheel clearance when the wheels are full turned, i want the truck the most low possible but there is my limit the front wheels. and is not easy to find rims whit less offset than the originals so i think the only way is put very low tires on 17" rims.
for the floor i do this way because i use 4x4 trans
rustymarco: 4x4? That will be interesting. Have not seen a 4x4 done yet. Although you have the front drive axles going through the oil pan, I can't imagine that the geometry is that much different than my 2WD. Keep an eye on Ricky's (Ricott) build. You can find him on my thread. In general, all I did was install the body on the frame so it looked like it was lowered. All the suspension is stock. No apparent wheel/body interference at this time on my build. I am using factory Trailblazer wheels and the offset is fine. Ricky utilized after market wheels and, if I remember correctly, will be lowering his more than mine. Remember, include a lot of pictures for our entertainment. Good luck.....dug
Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
rustymarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
rustymarco: 4x4? That will be interesting. Have not seen a 4x4 done yet. Although you have the front drive axles going through the oil pan, I can't imagine that the geometry is that much different than my 2WD. Keep an eye on Ricky's (Ricott) build. You can find him on my thread. In general, all I did was install the body on the frame so it looked like it was lowered. All the suspension is stock. No apparent wheel/body interference at this time on my build. I am using factory Trailblazer wheels and the offset is fine. Ricky utilized after market wheels and, if I remember correctly, will be lowering his more than mine. Remember, include a lot of pictures for our entertainment. Good luck.....dug

your truck and mine are very similar in structure but i think the 59 is a little more wide in the front than the 56 ,trailblazer chassis 2wd and 4wd are the same ,i use a complete trailblazer running for this so i have everything (wires,sensors,traction control etc) i go to put some pics after when i have something done
rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote