The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #51
Xeen

Re: Worst PO repair?

I cant stop laughing at the rediculousness. I've got watery eyes I'm laughing so hard over here.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #52
cerjio

You know this should be in a section for, Beginners looking for a project truck, an what to look for ! I bought 3 parts trucks to make one an have enough parts to almost build another. BUT what I found was amazing how people proably meaning well . Bad wireing , Foam, Metal tape used to cover the rust with a coat of primer on top of it all , an the guy tells me on the phone its ready for a paint job !!!! sure glad I took each one apart !!
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #53
desertnick69

This thread is to much! I don't know if i should laugh or cry, some folks really have no clue!
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
Lee H

Redesigned heat tube
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
wilbilt

I have encountered a few over the years. I had a 70 C/10 short step 10 or 12 years ago. One of the PO's must have been a plumber. The "heater core" was made from 3/4" copper pipe. Like the plumbing in your house. It consisted of a few short pieces of pipe, 2 elbows and 2 tees soldered together. It looked like this [][

It had no fins on the pipes or anything and didn't transfer much heat. I replaced it with a real heater core, I think I got more for the copper as scrap than what the new core cost. It also had some random bucket seats mounted with 2x4s and plumbers tape.

I am working through the bugs in my current truck and still finding surprises. After removing miles of farmer wiring and no fewer than 4 trailer connectors, most of the lights are working. The throttle return spring is still connected to a piece of wire tied around the radiator hose. It has some "custom" brackets holding in a huge 4-row radiator that is about 2" taller than the core support, and the top of the fan shroud is also held with some wire.

Then there is the matter of the exhaust "system". It has a rams horn manifold on the right side, and a long tube header on the left. The rest looks like he cut random pipe and mufflers from other vehicles and hung them using coat hangers and hose clamps.

It had a custom plexiglass driver side window that was cut perfectly to match the upper door channel but was about 2"' too short to actually close. I have since replaced it.