The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
bill1wts

Re: changing 8.1

so i got the motors swapped - an '01 in and '05 out. I had to change everything but the block and heads. All the electrical connectors were different and the intake on the 01 had two gas lines the 05 has one. etc egr on 01 diff from 05,....anyways this is where im at ... i changed the timing covers because the 01 has a thinner cover and the cam position sensor is shorter and the connector is different. Put the 05 timing cover on - new cps, new crank position sensor (again connectors were diff). It starts and runs sounds great but cel comes on. code 0342 - cam position sensor - put another new one in it and still throws code ... any ideas? sometimes it starts hard but runs good once going. not sure i have ability to test circuits. all i have is an ohm meter. is the 01 cam different from the 05? any help greatly appreciated - thsi project has taken awhile but we had a death in the family during it and a few other ordeals along the way. hate to take it to dealer but may have to now.
bill1wts is offline   Reply With Quote