The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
rmvlt1100

4L60E shift issues.

Hello everyone is just got my truck put back together and I am having some issues with the trans shifting. I have a 4L60E trans behind a 5.3 in my truck. I had the trans built by a local guy. He has a transmission shop and did it for a side job. The truck runs great its just the trans is sluggish between 1&2 gear. Also I think the shift points are off. I had the computer programmed locally. I'm looking for ideas on what could be the issue. Is it possible that the computer needs to be adjusted to fix theses issues? If any one has any ideas let me know. Thanks and have a good day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Re: 4L60E shift issues.

TEPC valve prob needs adjusted. it changes the line pressure. I read a thread yesterday from ls1nova71 and he had the exact same thing. some quotes below:

I'm not ex exactly sure, but when it shifted, it wasn't immediate, it would kind of hesitate or slide into the next gear. The transmission shop said something needed to be adjusted and that the pan had to come off to do it. They just said to bring it in and they would fix it, and since they rebuilt it, I wasn't going to do it so I didn't really find out what it was that they adjusted.

They adjusted the EPC valve. Basically adjusted line pressure manually.
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Aside from simple things like; is the harness connection good, is it full of fluid, does it have a good cooler?

The epc valve can actually stick all the way open or closed, and cause wacky line pressures. It could be a failed part that should have been replaced, or could just be "off" a bit. I don't know much about adjusting it, only seen it replaced due to failure.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
snipescastle2

Talking Re: 4L60E shift issues.

I read a similar problem with a 4L60-E with a Corvette that had been modified with new internal heavy duty parts, and a shift kit. the tech mentioned something about "Torque Management" program in the PCM that conflicts exactly opposite of what we are trying to do with a shift kit, fights it all the way, here is one post I found- good reading.....

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....o-HD-Shift-Kit

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-and-shift-kit

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ift-kit/page2&

maybe this is the issue you are having? Have a good one!
Ben Smith
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
clinebarger

Do Not mess with the EPC adjustment, This will increase line pressure across the board. Do Not alter max line pressure in the PCM either (+/-90 psi on a 4L60E). Torque management and/or Traction control can cause weird shifts if not tuned correctly.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
rmvlt1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvlt1100 View Post
Hello everyone is just got my truck put back together and I am having some issues with the trans shifting. I have a 4L60E trans behind a 5.3 in my truck. I had the trans built by a local guy. He has a transmission shop and did it for a side job. The truck runs great its just the trans is sluggish between 1&2 gear. Also I think the shift points are off. I had the computer programmed locally. I'm looking for ideas on what could be the issue. Is it possible that the computer needs to be adjusted to fix theses issues? If any one has any ideas let me know. Thanks and have a good day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCruizer View Post
TEPC valve prob needs adjusted. it changes the line pressure. I read a thread yesterday from ls1nova71 and he had the exact same thing. some quotes below:

I'm not ex exactly sure, but when it shifted, it wasn't immediate, it would kind of hesitate or slide into the next gear. The transmission shop said something needed to be adjusted and that the pan had to come off to do it. They just said to bring it in and they would fix it, and since they rebuilt it, I wasn't going to do it so I didn't really find out what it was that they adjusted.

They adjusted the EPC valve. Basically adjusted line pressure manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Aside from simple things like; is the harness connection good, is it full of fluid, does it have a good cooler?

The epc valve can actually stick all the way open or closed, and cause wacky line pressures. It could be a failed part that should have been replaced, or could just be "off" a bit. I don't know much about adjusting it, only seen it replaced due to failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I read a similar problem with a 4L60-E with a Corvette that had been modified with new internal heavy duty parts, and a shift kit. the tech mentioned something about "Torque Management" program in the PCM that conflicts exactly opposite of what we are trying to do with a shift kit, fights it all the way, here is one post I found- good reading.....

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....o-HD-Shift-Kit

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-and-shift-kit

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ift-kit/page2&

maybe this is the issue you are having? Have a good one!
Ben Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Do Not mess with the EPC adjustment, This will increase line pressure across the board. Do Not alter max line pressure in the PCM either (+/-90 psi on a 4L60E). Torque management and/or Traction control can cause weird shifts if not tuned correctly.
Thanks to all of you that gave me some ideas and recommendation to try. I was able to get in touch with the guy that built my transmission and he is going to take look at it next week. He seems to think its a quick fix. Again thanks for all the help so far. I will post what he finds and his fix for the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device