The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
wicky

Wiring harness/fuel pump

Hey guys im trying to finish up 5.3 swap in my 69. Its a 5.3 out of an 04 Avalanche. I sent the harness off to be stripped and cleaned up. I have 2 relays. One labeled main and one for my fuel pump. My question is my fuel pump relay has a green and white wire that comes out of the ecm plugged in where u would put a 12v key switch wire. And the main relay has a key switch plugged into the same spot. My problem is the fuel pump has no switch power to trigger the relay. Is the green/white wire correct and i just have something hooked up wrong somewhere else? Or are my relays possibly wired up wrong by mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device
wicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Leonard1

Re: Wiring harness/fuel pump

I just reworked my harness, and if memory serves me, the green/white wire is correct from the ecm. The relay should have a 12v+ battery power source to one side of the relay, and the wire to the fuel pump coming out the other.
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The ECM provides the switched power for the relay, this lets the computer run the fuel pump power and shutoff if there is a catastrophic failure.

You can wire the green and white to a switched 12v, running off the key. This is the "oldschool" way of doing it, and some here have their truck that way, but the computer gives you a simpler and safer solution.

Touch that switched wire to a 12v and see if your fuel pump turns on; if not, you either have a dead pump, or a wiring problem further up on the 12v HOT wire to the pump. If it does, then you have something wired wrong coming off the ecm, or a problem with the ecm.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
l92Firebird

Why don't you ask they guys that redid your harness?
l92Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
wicky

Thanks guys. I have touched my fuel pump wire straiggt to a battery source and it runs. Ill do some more checking to see if i have any other wires unhooked something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
wicky is offline   Reply With Quote