The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
WHITE-NOISE

brake swaping questions, need some help!

i am currently building a 68 k20, started with a bare frame and right now im working on the brake system. i am changing from manual 4 wheel drum brakes, to 4 wheel disk and hydraboost!, currently i have all the hydraboost done and plumbed but on my master cylender i am unsure which reservoir controls front and rear, im pretty sure the m/c i have is for disk/drum brakes as it has to different size reservoirs, does it really matter which one goes where now?
WHITE-NOISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: brake swaping questions, need some help!

ttt

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Stricklinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-NOISE View Post
i am currently building a 68 k20, started with a bare frame and right now im working on the brake system. i am changing from manual 4 wheel drum brakes, to 4 wheel disk and hydraboost!, currently i have all the hydraboost done and plumbed but on my master cylender i am unsure which reservoir controls front and rear, im pretty sure the m/c i have is for disk/drum brakes as it has to different size reservoirs, does it really matter which one goes where now?
In my 69 C20, the reservoir closest to the firewall is for the rear brakes. The only reason I know is because when I bought it one of the rear lines was rusted through and so it ran empty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-NOISE View Post
Half ton flips the location of the front brake reservoir position relative to 3/4-ton master cylinders so you have to know what application it came from to know for sure which end is the front brake reservoir.

On 3/4-tons the front of the master is for the rear brakes and on 1/2-tons it is the rear of the master for the rear brakes.

The fitting coming out of the master cylinder is a larger size for the rear brakes. Check out your stock plumbing to see which fitting size goes to the rear to know for sure which one you have on there.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
SS Tim

What makes you think your disc/drum master has enough fluid volume for a disc/dics application? Start by identifying your master and determine if it is big enough and I'm sure the proper ports will become apparent.
As far as best practice plumbing I'd model it after the stock Hydro Boost truck your parts are from if it was a disc/disc truck.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
nlped

I'd even consider using the Hydroboost M/C that's designed for this disc/disc system. Then you know you have that part correct...& the luxury of a newer, easier to locate part... Just my .02

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
tony58

The large reservoir is for the front disc brakes. If you have a disc/drum master you can use it on disc/disc, just refill the small reservoir down the road as the pads wear, it'll take quite some time to need refilling as the rear pads don't wear very quickly.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote